Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet connection is fast but wifi is slow only for computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joe_shroe

joe_shroe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:36 PM

My router sits in my room just 5 feet behind me. This past week my computer's been very slow, ranging from "this could be a lot faster" to "is this even loading anymore". I just did a speed test and with wireless I get anywhere from 1-10 Mb/s. With ethernet I get upwards of 65Mb/s, and my phone also has similar speeds so it's just my computer that's suffering.

My computer's custom built and it hasn't been overheating or anything. Here are the specs:
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 290
Processor: Intel i5-4690
Wifi adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe

I've also cleaned it for dust in the past month or so, so I don't think it's anything physical like that. Drivers have also been up to date. How can I check to see if my wifi adapter is running optimally? Or do I need to buy another wifi adapter maybe?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

Well the obvious guess is you have a crappy wifi adapter. Try getting a stronger one from a local store and seeing if the connection is better. If it isn't, just return it.

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

When it is slow, do you get any packet loss or latency. Try posting a tracert to your favorite site. See here for instructions.

Also, do you have any other wireless devices? If so, are they also slow at the same time?

Last, what model router do you have?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users