Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NAS hdd DIY setup at home

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 badbassrandy

badbassrandy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:34 PM

Hello. I recently got a deal on a naked NAS harddrive for cheap and I'd like help on setting up a NAS system at home. The internet is only confusing me further. I am a n00b at this kind of thing, completely.

I have this harddrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178393

Do I just need an enclosure like this?  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FXWJMBS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3IE1UI7I1Z8U0&coliid=IE2XDXS1S3491

And then formatting, etc., I'm lost on! Thanks so much for any guidance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:27 PM

FWIW, the NAS drives are kind of meant for multiple drive (aka RAID) NAS systems such as this (as an example...there are many other options...I run a 4 bay ReadyNAS device). They are supposed better able to deal with the additional vibrations of the multiple drives in an NAS or server. That is why they will be more expensive than the "equivalent" desktop drive.

Of course, at the end of day, it is still just a disk drive that you can use how you want. So, it if you want to use it as a desktop drive or in a USB external enclosure or the 1 drive bay NAS to which you linked, then that is fine too.

Now, I have no clue how good that NAS enclosure you picked may or may not be, so I cannot really comment on how well it might work.

But, it should work like a typical NAS. A NAS is in essence as computer that is running some OS (many times some flavor of Linux, but could be something completely proprietary) that will then act as a server that shares its drives across the network to multiple computers/devices. So, typically you just stick the blank drive in the NAS enclosure and it will do the appropriate formatting. You then access the settings for the NAS either through software that you install or by way of the devices IP address in a browser (the former is usually just a basic program to expedite the latter). You then adjust the settings of the NAS. The primary settings you will deal with is setting up "shares" and users for those shares. The "shares" are basically network drives that you will then "attach" through Windows and will typically require a user account to then mount/"attach".

If you are going to only use it with one computer, then you may be better off just getting a regular USB external enclosure for it. NAS devices are generally most useful when you have multiple devices that you want to access files on the NAS. If it is only one device, then a USB enclosure will be faster, even if the NAS (and all Ethernet cables, switches and your computer) is capable of Gigabit Ethernet.

#3 badbassrandy

badbassrandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:03 PM

Very help and very, very informative. Thank you sir.

All pretty much over my head still, but sounds like if I find a decent enclosure, the rest will work itself out. I hope it is that simple.

I am trying to use it almost as a cloud type of storage, and access it on my two laptops and Android phone.

The NAS drive did not jibe with another regular external drive enclosure I had laying around.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:02 PM

Very help and very, very informative. Thank you sir.

All pretty much over my head still, but sounds like if I find a decent enclosure, the rest will work itself out. I hope it is that simple.

More or less. For many NAS devices, the drive will be formatted automatically when installed and the NAS is powered up (that is definitely the case with my 4 bay NAS). For others, you might need to go into the settings and manual initiate the formatting of the drive. You will basically be able to tell when you go into the settings what the status of the drive(s) is. And you will have to go into the settings to setup your shares and users at minimum, as I mentioned before.

I am trying to use it almost as a cloud type of storage, and access it on my two laptops and Android phone.

That is basically what they are for...being able to access files on your local network at home by multiple devices. And some NAS devices will allow you access your files remotely (i.e. while out of the house).

The NAS drive did not jibe with another regular external drive enclosure I had laying around.

It should work with any 3.5" SATA hard drive enclosure. So, if that is the type of drive enclosure you have and it did not work, then it could be an issue with the drive or the enclosure. You may want to test the drive before you go and buy a NAS enclosure. It would be a bummer to pay more money for an enclosure and then find out that the drive is bad or dead.

#5 badbassrandy

badbassrandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:29 AM

Again, very very helpful. I really appreciate it. I'm not going to do anything till I check the drive for actual functionality. Thanks!

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:27 PM

Glad to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users