Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lots of partitions and unalocated space

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 peiper

peiper

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:17 PM

I have a AsusG551 laptop. I used AOMEI partiton tool to check partitions and found there were several partitions i dont use. i tried to delete these and aocate space to the d drive but it isnt an option on neither partition.

Heres a capture of the partiton tool.

yZt54W.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

You definitely do not want to mess with either SYSTEM, RECOVERY, and RESTORE. The first is part of boot process if memory serves. The second is like the recovery partition that is part of Windows. And the restore is like the restore function from Asus (as opposed to the old fashions idea of giving you install discs or recovery discs).

I have no idea what either F or G are.

As to why it did not work, generally for a non-destructive partition adjustment, after deleting a partition (effectively converting it to unallocated space), the resulting unallocated space typically need to be to the right on the partition map of the partition you want to extend into that unallocated space. So, if you want to "enlarge" D, both F and G would need to the right of D (but still left of Restore). So, even if you could delete F and/or G (it is not clear from your post it failed at deleting these partitions or after you deleted them), you would not be able to "extend" D into the resulting unallocated space. So, more than likely to do what you want, you would likely need to do a destruction re-partitioning. And that assumes that it is OK to nuke F and/or G, which I have no idea about.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:24 PM

I have been able to combine a left-sided Un-allocated with a right-sided in-use partition, however, it involves a semi-torturous series of steps, things to do, using either Acronis Disk Director or something similar in power and ability.  Very briefly put, it involves:

-- making restorable full image backups onto external media before attempting this surgery

-- making the Un-allocated an NTFS volume or partition [with the same NTFS allocation clump of its in-use right-side neighbor]

-- merging the formerly-Unallocated/now NTFS volume or partition with its right-side neighbor; absolutely making sure to specify which one of the two merging volumes/partitions will be the "master", "the boss", "THE volume"

-- restarting a few times, letting Windows and Desktop settle down

-- checking on existing folders and files to make sure everything safely made it through this process

I have no idea on how to walk you through this because I have no idea what experience and what utilities you have.

Edited by RolandJS, 01 September 2016 - 09:26 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:18 AM

I have been able to combine a left-sided Un-allocated with a right-sided in-use partition, however, it involves a semi-torturous series of steps, things to do, using either Acronis Disk Director or something similar in power and ability.  Very briefly put, it involves:
-- making restorable full image backups onto external media before attempting this surgery
-- making the Un-allocated an NTFS volume or partition [with the same NTFS allocation clump of its in-use right-side neighbor]
-- merging the formerly-Unallocated/now NTFS volume or partition with its right-side neighbor; absolutely making sure to specify which one of the two merging volumes/partitions will be the "master", "the boss", "THE volume"
-- restarting a few times, letting Windows and Desktop settle down
-- checking on existing folders and files to make sure everything safely made it through this process
I have no idea on how to walk you through this because I have no idea what experience and what utilities you have.

It would not surprise me that some third party partition utilities might be able to do a left sided unallocated portion.

I am pretty sure that the build in Windows partition manager will not, however...it can only handle right sided unallocated portions. You should be able to do it in a round about way using the Windows partition manager assuming the left sided unallocated portion is large enough. You would essentially format that left sided unallocated space as a partition, then copy the data files from the right side to the left side, then delete the right side making it unallocated, and then use the Windows partition manager to extend the now new left side partition into the right side unallocated space. For this to work, the left sided unallocated space would need to be large enough to fit all the files on the right sided partition. This is likely what the third party partition utility (Acronis Disk Director in your case) is doing behind the scenes.

#5 peiper

peiper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 04:59 PM

I can select merge d with g and c with f. But after i restarted the partition still excists.

And there was a partition on disk 2, but i deleted it. Is this SDD disk? i have opened up my laptop and there were no ssd in it.

9Zz4jy.png

Edited by peiper, 02 September 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:56 PM

It would appear that you might have the version that has a 1 TB traditional drive and a 24 GB SSD. In other words, a hybrid drive system. It is not clear from the specs on the Asus website is this is a dual drive system or a SSHD (i.e. one drive that has traditional platters and NAND flash memory combined into one device).

From the following page, it appears that it is a separate mSATA SSD...scroll down the to the last item on the following page:

https://rog.asus.com/15842014/hands-on/g551-upgrade-guide/

And I am not sure if messing with it might mess up the performance of it. I could not find anything about it in the manual.

I found this thread and it may help with your SSD cache even though it is for a Asus VivoBook S551LB:

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/39748-how-do-i-set-up-ssd-cache-again-asus-vivobook-s551lb.html

Do you have a program call ExpressCache installed on your computer?

If so, then posts #4 and #5 of that thread might be pertinent.

You should also check to see if your recovery image option still works. Sometimes messing with partitions can mess up recovery options. According to page 93 of the manual, you access the recovery image process by pressing F9 during POST.

#7 peiper

peiper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:57 AM

i isntalled booth intel rst and expresscache. According to intel rst booth disk are functioning well. So i suppose its working as it chould now?

#8 peiper

peiper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:12 PM

Annyway thanks for the help so far.

However it uses long time to load windows after logon meny.

The system restore works fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users