Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dreaded Blue Screen!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wpetti

wpetti

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:46 AM

Hello,

Yesterday I was working on this computer and talking to Charter, our ISP, re speeding up service. The Rep at Charter had me plug my modem cable directly into the computer as opposed to through the router.

It may not be connected but right after I did this the computer in the next room crashed (we think it was performing a Windows Update when I interrupted it's service to the internet.

When we rebooted that computer it brought up the Blue Screen.

Our (2) computers are only about 1 year old. We run Windows 7 still. The computers are linked and we split bandwidth between the two at our office.

This computer is working perfectly, so not sure what happened at the other one!

I have been trying to open the other computer in Safe Mode but that option is hidden somewhere on these computers, unlike older ones. Hitting Shift F8 during re-boot does not work to bring up Safe Mode option; only Repair program (which does not work) and Open Normally (which does not work).

I was able to get to Advanced Options and get to the internal Command Prompt so if I knew the right command I might be able to get to Safe Mode and run some scans per your direction? As I cannot download programs to that computer (being offline) not sure what options I have. 

Finally, the hard drive (or fan) is making a whirring noise that was not there before. I have seen a virus or software issue cause this in the past and once the mess was cleaned up the drive stopped moaning. 

Any ideas? i don't think its a hardware issue becasue the computers are both less than a year old Lenovo ThinkCentre's.

One more thing: I did run a chkdsk and the program found and made a few changes but reboot still brought up the Blue Screen of Death!

Any help Appreciated!!

wpetti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HonorGamer

HonorGamer

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:10 AM

Hello, Please follow the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista so we can get the correct files needed to help you solve your problem.

#3 wpetti

wpetti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:27 AM

HonorGamer,

Thank you for your help. 

Regrettably we were in a bind and took the box to a local tech. After some testing they said the hard drive was shot. 

After looking at what to my amateur eyes look like fairly high level instructions on how to fix the Blue Screen I seriously wonder if the drive was really shot, and could not be fixed by your method! 

I think I will print off your instructions and take them to the tech, maybe compare what they tried to do. 

I guess I have to close this topic either way so you can get on to help someone else. 

Thank you , though.

wpetti

#4 HonorGamer

HonorGamer

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:30 AM

Well if the problem comes back then we will be there to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users