Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message Windows Detected Hard Drive Data Corruption

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jen000

jen000

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:23 AM

Hi my neighbour has just shown me her tablet which is showing the following error which appeared after she accessed Facebook.

http://7811786.com

***** Don't restart your computer *****

WIndows Detected Hard Drive Data Corruption.

This indicates that some recent downloads on the computer has created problems on the computer.

Call technical support (0800) 802 1389 and share this code S4AW2 with the Agent to fix the issue.

I was surprised when she said she had rung the number and they were unable to help.  I presumed it was ransomware and they would want money.

Can anyone help please?  Is this genuine?  What are the next steps?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 18,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:28 AM

Hi jen000 :)

This is what we call a technical support scam. Basically a fake alert pops-up in the web browser, stating that your system/computer is having an issue and it asks you to call a certain number. However the person that will answer and "assist" you is a scammer that will try to sell you an overpriced solution that is basically useless since you aren't affected by the problem in the pop-up. For more information, read the following post by quietman.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/#entry3897161

unite_blue.png
Technical Support, Tier 2 | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | R&D at Certly | @AuraTheWhiteHat
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 jen000

jen000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:44 AM

Hi Aura.  Thanks for your prompt reply.   I was surprised that the tech support didnt try to sell her anything or ask for money.  He just told her to contact her local ipad tech support provider.  Very strange.  She can't get rid of the message but I will follow the suggestions in the link provided.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 18,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

Probably because the message is aimed for Windows PC/Laptop users, and since she got it on her iPad, he had no interest in it so he send her away.

unite_blue.png
Technical Support, Tier 2 | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | R&D at Certly | @AuraTheWhiteHat
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Kuszotke

Kuszotke

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:30 PM

Do humanity a favor and call them, screw with them and record it :P 

I guess resetting the browser to default settings or simply reinstalling it should be enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users