Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would Like to Upgrade ASUS A52JK Processor from i5-430M to i7-640M or i7-940XM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 foxfaisal

foxfaisal

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:23 AM

Good day ladies and gentlemen,

I am a newbie here and would like to ask a question. I own an ASUS A52JK that was bought in 2010. It comes with Intel® HM55 Express Chipset & Intel® Core™ i5 430M Processor. The specification for the laptop is available in the link below:

Beside the Intel® Core™ i5 430M Processor, this laptop model also comes with different processors (according to the link above), which are:
a - Intel® Core™ i5-540M Processor
b - Intel® Core™ i5-520M Processor
c - Intel® Core™ i5-460M Processor
d - Intel® Core™ i5-450M Processor
e - Intel® Core™ i3-370M Processor
f - Intel® Core™ i3-350M Processor
g - Intel® Core™ i3-330M Processor

My laptop is still in good condition, however lately it feels slows whenever I'm running newer programs such as Ms Office 2013 & 2016. At first I decided to buy a newer laptop (an MSI GE62 6QD Apache Pro, an ASUS ROG GL552VW or an ASUS ROG G501VW. Before purchasing the new laptop, my friend of mine suggested me to upgrade the HDD in the laptop to SSD. After upgrading to SSD, another friend of mine suggested me to upgrade the CPU to i7 (provided that the socket is the same).

According to ark.intel.com website, the processors that are compatible with Intel® HM55 Express Chipset are listed in the link below:

Out of all the processors listed in the link above, I am interested with the following processors:
a - Intel® Core™ i7-940XM Processor Extreme Edition (8M Cache, 2.13 GHz Base Frequency, 3.33 GHz Turbo Frequency, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 55 W TDP)
b - Intel® Core™ i7-640M Processor (4M Cache, 2.80 GHz Base Frequency, 3.46 GHz Turbo Frequency, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 35 W TDP)

I have 1 question - can I simply remove the existing Intel® Core™ i5 430M Processor and then replace it with either one of the 2 i7 processors above (Intel® Core™ i7-940XM Processor Extreme Edition OR Intel® Core™ i7-640M Processor)?

If not possible, can I replace the existing Intel® Core™ i5 430M Processor with the fastest i5 processor that is compatible with Intel® HM55 Express Chipset? According to the http://ark.intel.com/products/43183#@compatibility link, the fastest compatible i5 processor is:
a - a - Intel® Core™ i5-580M Processor (3M Cache, 2.66 GHz Base Frequency, 3.33 GHz Turbo Frequency, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 35 W TDP)

If still not possible, I think the only possible thing that I can do is to replace the existing Intel® Core™ i5 430M Processor with the fastest i5 processor that comes together with ASUS A52JK model. According to the https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/A52JK/specifications/ link, the fastest ASUS A52JK model is:
a - Intel® Core™ i5-540M Processor (3M Cache, 2.53 GHz Base Frequency, 3.066 GHz Turbo Frequency, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 35 W TDP)

I hope I can get advice and guidance from all of you regarding this matter. Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:43 AM

Hi foxfaisal,

You have already posted and gotten your question answered here - http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3042705/upgrade-asus-a52jk-processor-430m-640m-940xm.html

We here at BC would say pretty much the same thing.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 foxfaisal

foxfaisal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:50 AM

Hello DeimosChaos.

Thank you for your reply. Noted. The reason why I tried to ask the same question here is because I would like to see if there is any different opinion from here. But if the answer might be the same thing, then I think I will not proceed upgrading the CPU.

Thank you very much.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:55 PM

Yup we would give the same advice more or less. You may not be able to upgrade the cpu, so just as from Tomshardware, open the laptop up and see if it is removable. If it is, then you may be able to upgrade (if the board will take any other type of CPU) if not then its time to move on to a new laptop. I'm going to say more than likely you won't be able to upgrade.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 foxfaisal

foxfaisal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:10 PM

By the way, I forgot to reply in the Tomshardware that most of the CPU that I listed come in 2 version, which are:

1) BGA1288 (soldered to the motherboard)
2) PGA988 (installed on the motherboard by using the normal motherboard latch)

My laptop is PGA988. I used to remove the processor myself by disconnecting the cpu from the latch. I even applied new thermal compound between the cpu and the heat pipe.

Most of the CPU that I listed above (for PGA988) can be bought (new or used) at Amazon/Ebay.

Anyway, thank you very muvh for the reply. Really appreciate it :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users