Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast4home Free N Zone Alarm Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ursus

ursus

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:39 AM

My Avast licence was finished, so I did the drill of uninstall, get a new one, all was fine, till I restarted computer, ZA decided to stop everything, no more IE, no OE no more nothing, got the dreaded blue screen :thumbsup: , had to uninstall ZA in safe mode, in order to get computer running again.

So when I finally get it going, Avast was still on, I went to Zone Lab to get ZA free, now it won't install properly, so I'm forced to use XP home sp2 firewall, which is making me jumpy, don't like programs I can't control, or see what they are doing exactly.

I have these registry program, but I'm afraid to go there, anyone can guide me in trakcing the ZA dll or files so I could remove them manually, seems that MS Add/remove didn't do it properly, I got myself Smatest Uninstaller pro now, but damage was done, an dit doesn't show ZA in the program installed list, not even in the broken installed.
CPAWS.org UCSUSA.org
cst'm made,PC3200 DDR SDRAM ACPI multi processor,Intel Pentium 4E 3.GHz,512MB RAM, XPHomeSP2, IE&OE V6.0,100GB,ATI Radeon 9200 pro, Ati Radeon9250, Intel®8280-1EB-Ultra ATA,Dell P991,1floppy,1CD read,1CDburn,High Speed digital cable
Avastg4Home free,
Spyboth,Spywareguard,SpywareBlast,XPfirewall,TrojanHunter4.5,RegMechanic,ReagHealer,WinPatrol free.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:07 PM

There is an issue with using Avast!'s on access protection with the ZoneAlarm Firewall. The latest version of Avast! detects ZA and disables the conflicting componants of Avast! Be sure you are installing the latest version of Avast! and only after installing ZA.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:27 PM

Add/Remove through Control Panel, attempts to remove in Safe Mode, playing with the registry and other such procedures should not be used. It really is best to follow the manufacturer's suggestion to the extent possible. I did, and they work just fine.

Link to the official uninstallation steps for Zone Alarm products
http://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/...an_install.html

If you already did the steps such as safe mode removal, then things get very complicated. Search the ZL site I just quoted. Long ago they had a very long and thorough procedure to follow which takes you through all the steps including the registry. Follow those instructions and you'll be all set. IF you cannot find them, post back here, and I'll recover mine from backup.

I find that Avast and ZA free work very well together and ALL of its components should be enabled. The conflict of one part within Avast does NOT apply to ZA free, only to ZA Pro, that is MY understanding and experience, but Amazing Andrew, with the geeky signature :thumbsup: , may well have newer information.
My old (July) story about ZAfree+Avast is in the last post here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/59308/do-zonealarm-firewall-and-avast-free-coexist-well/

Edited by tos226, 18 August 2006 - 09:31 PM.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:09 AM

You may be right, TOS, as I use ZA pro :thumbsup:

#5 ursus

ursus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:31 PM

Thanks to both of you. I will follow the instruction to remove all trace of ZA properly.

Reason I removed it in safe mode was that Windows wasn't loading anymore, I had to boot from my Gold Xp Cd.

And it was the Free ZA which I had just updated that caused Windows to go down the drain, see I had problems :thumbsup: and more problems wiht computer, that is when I noticed that my Avast licence was past due, and kept updating to the same stuff, instead of a real update.

But earlier that same day. I had updated ZA free too, so when I installed Avast free they told me to disable don't remember :flowers: one of the shield, as there was an issue with ZA, and they were working on it.

Told myself well I don't since I've been running both no problem, so I didn't block that shield from installing, THAT is exaclty when I lost Windows, boy I was a happy trooper.

I have full ZA pro CD, but for a reason I can't understand, it simply doesn't work properly or there is another conflict with another program, and it cause that infamous DR Watson to go up the walls, and freeze my computer constantly, so I removed it using the add/remove from the control Panel, and went back to the good old ZA free. But since now Avast was up and running, no more ZA, it simply wouldn't install.
ZA said it was caused by XP, and not by their product.
Oh well since I was tired of being the ping pong ball in that match, I took my own decisions.

So back to the drawing board, will try to get ZA installed then install Avast, and see what goes on.
CPAWS.org UCSUSA.org
cst'm made,PC3200 DDR SDRAM ACPI multi processor,Intel Pentium 4E 3.GHz,512MB RAM, XPHomeSP2, IE&OE V6.0,100GB,ATI Radeon 9200 pro, Ati Radeon9250, Intel®8280-1EB-Ultra ATA,Dell P991,1floppy,1CD read,1CDburn,High Speed digital cable
Avastg4Home free,
Spyboth,Spywareguard,SpywareBlast,XPfirewall,TrojanHunter4.5,RegMechanic,ReagHealer,WinPatrol free.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:49 PM

Just make sure to be orderly about all this. Nest things and activities.
Removing traces of ZAPro is important. Because once you go to free, you don't want any traces of another version to be there. I'd be checking the registry and system32 as well, as per their very long instructions for complicated situations such as this (partial removals).

Assuming Avast is now running, take it down, disable, uninstall - check Help for what you should do.
Install ZA.
Now reanable or reinstall Avast.
I don't have the computer on which I have this combination with me, so just trying to give you the general idea. But I think you already have it. Good luck.

And don't do those installations in safe mode. They depend on you being in standard windows as far as I know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users