Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32 v 64 Bit Development

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ktanaqui

Ktanaqui

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:36 AM

First off, I'm very sorry if this seems obvious. I'm sort of brand new to this whole field of software development :)

Second, and my question:

A co-worker of mine just asked me about two hours past how you choose whether to program a 32 bit program or a 64 bit program, or, in better words - how does the computer know whether it is 32 or 64 bit, and what influence does the dev have over that? I was unable to find the answers to this via Google, unfortunately, but may have been asking the wrong questions. Either way, I lacked an answer for him and now I'm curious myself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C0113c70r

C0113c70r

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:56 PM

If you haven't already read the article at the following link then I highly recommend it for a general answer to the question you are asking -

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/32-bit-64-bit-operating-systems/

When developing software these days, it is important to keep in mind the target consumer-audience and the fact that even though 64-bit machines have been available now for a few years not everyone has one. I know many people and businesses who are still working with 32-bit machines (I still have one in excellent working condition that I bought back in 1994). Some people continue to use the older machines due to financial reasons (they cannot afford to buy a new computer every time an upgrade comes out), they don't want to give up the old software that they have been using for so long and that they have so much money invested in already, or they are too impatient to keep up with the learning curve.

While 64-bit machines can most often run 32-bit software, the reverse is not true. A person cannot run software developed for a 64-bit machine in a 32-bit environment.

If you didn't get the answer you wanted to hear,

you were probably asking the wrong question.

#3 BrianVS

BrianVS

• Validating
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

This WIKI article has some of the processor history and operating modes of the processors. It looks like the Intel Core 2 processor is it's first used in the mobile Pentium series to run 64-bit code.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users