Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Confusion over mutliple Werfault.exes showing in different places.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 compbuff

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:42 AM

Mod Edit: Proper logs not included,moved to AII from MRL ~~boopme

I have only posted this here because I have heard people with werfault.exe messages have found them to be viruses before if not found in the place it should be.
I had a message from my WinPatrol program asking me if I wanted to accept the Werfeault.exe service to run. I had recently deleted a memory dump from CCleaner as part of a selected clean up process to remove unwanted items, ensuring not to delete those that I should keep, and had missed not unticking the memory dump from settings and accidentally deleted the recent one. Therefore I assumed that's why Werfault.exe was asking permission to run, as it's set to manual and trigger start in service.msc, after I did shot shut down my PC correctly from being in a hurry to leave for work yesterday.
My only question is, unless I'm interpreting this worngly, why I seem to be seeing what I think is multiple Werfault.exe's? The run once message from WinPatro show Windows error reporting requesting permisison from the right path, but I am perplexed from seing others in different places when i checked.
My laptop is running fine, and I had recently cloned my old HDD hardrive onto a new SSD as my new primary HD running my OS from. I had also recently run my malwarebytes antimalware program and my avast premier and neither showed any infections. It maybe nothing but should I be concerned?

Edited by boopme, 01 September 2016 - 10:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,763 posts
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:32 AM

If you are concerned about a file being malicious or not, you can submit files for scanning by multiple security programs at VirusTotal - Free Online Virus and Malware Scan

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users