Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Website Makes It Easy To Learn Linux

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:23 AM

I searched around and could not find this topic or link posted here. If it is, please forgive me.

Stumbled across a nice article after reading about 25 surprising things that run on Linux (another thread here in the Linux section.)

This New Website Makes It Easy To Learn Linux

The article describes what looks like a pretty fun site for newbies wanting to learn Linux. I'll be spending some time there myself, soon. The site is called Linux Journey and it is even in the process of becoming an open-source website (how does that work???) Well, for the open-source project, it has a GitHub page available. Perhaps a chance for some of you Linux guru's to get involved?

Anyway, the site looks like it will be fun and interesting as I try to further my understanding of Linux.

A programmer's wife sends him to the store for a gallon of milk,

and she adds the instructions, "If there are eggs, buy a dozen."

The programmer goes to the store and returns home with 13 gallons of milk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:06 AM

+1 :thumbup2:  Thanks for posting!

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:53 PM

Looks very useful; and I'm willing to bet some of the 'old hands' might find it worth a look, too.

Nice one.  :thumbsup2:

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 Lipper

Lipper

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for posting. I will get a lot of use out of that site. :)

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:06 PM

Hello Jeremy_C, :welcome: to BC and to the Linux & Unix section.

That looks like a wonderful site you have found. One of our Members, cat1092 runs a thread, pinned, on our front page here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542702/have-links-to-good-free-linux-libreoffice-e-books-share-them-here/  and he accepts articles such as you have found.

@Cat - direct link for that site, if you don't already have it listed, is here https://linuxjourney.com/, as Jeremy has linked in his first post. Looks very user-friendly, on a cursory inspection.

Thanks for sharing, Jeremy ... hope you enjoy your stay with us. :thumbup2:

:wizardball: Wizard

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:26 AM

Jeremy_C ,  :welcome: to the Linux Community of Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

We're more than happy to have you abroad, and thanks for the link to that Linux site. Maybe it has the answer to my year long network printing issue. :thumbsup:

If so, for me, that's plenty of reason to sign up. 

Anytime you need an answer to something, keep in mind that there are no ''dumb' questions here, other than the one that wasn't asked in time of need. We strongly encourage all of our new Linux users to ask questions as needed, as well as veteran participation for those who can assist others to give an assist where needed. Even some of us long term Linux users needs an assist now & then. 

Enjoy the site & we hope that you'll be a participating member here. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,329 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:03 PM

Jeremy_C, I enjoyed that as well!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:37 AM

One cool thing I like about the site, is the ease of navigation. :thumbup2:

Makes it faster for one to find what we're looking for. I'm sure that with the passage of time, more solutions will be added to the database. These are the type of sites that we need more of. :)

Plus, as I noticed, and so did Wiz above, there are e-books for learning. No one can any longer say 'there's a lack of resources' when there's as many as available as ever, many of these articles, plus those in a Topic I started, adds up to a lot. Back when I first began with Linux, the main recommendation was to 'go through WUBI'. basically an installed test drive of Ubuntu within Windows. Not that their intentions were bad, it was just that for starters, if not careful, one may have no OS if not creating Full drive images (still the deal among 85% of Home users). The second part is that because it is an installed Windows program, even though WUBI looked to be a dual boot OS, the full resources of the computer were not available for Ubuntu, as opposed to a Hyper-V based VM of today, which does allow the full access of resources. This was the dealbreaker for one with a computer with a couple of GB of DDR/DDR2 RAM & single core CPU, myself included.

After checking with all of the public libraries in the region, while there were many large paper & hardcover Windows & MS Office books going back to 3.1 that hadn't been dusted for some time, there wasn't the first Linux book on the shelves, nor were there any loaned out to be later returned. This is government for us, they were at higher levels, already reaping the benefits of Linux, and didn't want the common taxpayer who in part kept the library going to do the same. :(    Surely there were books, as I had seen a 'Linux Bible' on the Internet, for $24.99 plus shipping, plus taxes where applicable. It's kind of hard to help but ask, why didn't the government want us to have Linux access? 

So back then (around late 2008/early 2009), we were basically told to 'wing it' & that was what many of us did. While there were articles around, some weren't truly helpful, basically a 'cheerleader' approach towards Linux (w/out calling out names of writers in publications). It could had been that some were under control of their employer, whom had & still has ads for MS Office, various Windows computer brands when Windows 7 was the hottest ticket around, AV software for Windows, this makes it hard for a journalist to publish an unedited article about an OS that not as many had yet to have heard of. And if too many came in by the same person, better have another stint lined up. 

The good thing about 2016, the Information Age has kicked into overdrive these days when it comes to Linux, and now, some of the same publications that were once so strict about Linux has eased back somewhat, though still have a way to go. Fortunately, we now don't need these publications who never wanted Linux for anything other than fill a few pages, and it's kind of hard for me to believe a couple who claimed to be '20 year veterans' of the OS platform, especially now knowing that Linux just turned 25 years old. It wasn't possible in 2009 to claim to have 20 years of Linux experience, maybe 'open source' would had been more honest. I guess it goes to show that publications will state anything to gain ratings, true or not. :P

With these type of sites like the OP posted, we are truly free to learn, in a real environment, at our pace. There was another sometime back where a certificate being gained, posted twice, though as I recall had some type of minimal commitment that's not possible for all of us. With https://linuxjourney.com/,, there is no such commitment, we learn what we need, at our pace. 

Hopefully all of our members & followers will enjoy the site, it's laid out in categories to where the newest Linux users can find what's needed in little time. :)

Enjoy & empower yourself with knowledge of Linux! :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:08 AM

I ran across that Linux Journey site last week, didn't think to come here and post a link but it is incredibly useful.

I recently created a partition on my home PC and put Ubuntu / Unity down on it, and although I already know the basics of navigating around using the command line, this site is well laid out, easy to use, and very informative.

Thanks for the link!  :thumbup2:

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:05 PM

For me the bit that dragged me in was ...::

The site thankfully skips the usual clichéd articles that traditionally pad out introductory sites. You know the kinds of posts I mean: ‘what is Linux?’, ‘how to choose a distro’, ‘how to dual boot with windows’, etc.

Not that those aren’t useful. If you don’t know if you want to use Linux they most certainly are.

But installing Linux doesn’t instantly unlock a fountain of knowledge in your head. It’s the starting point of long journey...

So, instead, the aptly-named Linux Journey puts the focus on telling you about the stuff that matters, stuff about Linux itself.

A bevy of bitesize lessons aim to teach you how key parts of Linux work they way they do (no matter which distribution you install).... as well as how you can use, master and/or learn from them.

.....and for the 'glitter arty' of the Linux crowd.....who know it all and have been there done that......

Have a read with your blinkers OFF

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:53 AM

Nicely said, Brian (& Cat, et al)

For those whom wish to go one step further, and build their own, see here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406036/cheesemakers-linux-corner/?p=4080758

@the OP:

Jeremy, you may find that Topic a wealth of information, started by venerable Member Ray - rburkartjo - some years ago. It is only 231 pages long, lol, and some of the old stuff is like unearthing a Time Capsule.

Cheers, and avagudweegend

:wizardball: Wizard

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:54 AM

But installing Linux doesn’t instantly unlock a fountain of knowledge in your head. It’s the starting point of long journey...

+1 to both! :thumbup2:

A very long journey! If one is considering Linux seriously, then the same must be committed to learning a new way of using a computer, at least long enough to gain needed knowledge for the long haul. If one is going to dual boot, then we're going to do that anyway from knowledge in articles/forum postings. The site is in the business of teaching Linux, and being free also means that some items will be missing or only briefly discussed. :)

The one thing that they don't do.......is promise that 'with our course, you'll be making megabucks in weeks'Those are the sites that turns me off & fast, other than either engaging in illegal activity or hitting the lottery, there's no such thing as what's promised. If this were true, then few would spend what takes a lifetime to repay in higher education. 

I'd bet most anything that DC would also agree that a 8 to 16 week course for $150 to $300 to make a six figure salary is a scam, and it becomes more obvious when one clicks to close the tab, they'll offer 20% off to keep reading or watch the video. :P

Glad that this site does keep it simple & to the point, as humans, we were given a mind to use, no one can teach experience. Only we can do that by learning from mistakes, if necessary, keep a journal so as not to repeat the same, get up & start over. Or if smarter than 85% of Home users, will keep recent backups to where any losses are minimal. Keep /home separate, preferably on a separate drive. Which can be done on notebooks also that has an optical drive, by removing the seldom used one (a $5 USB adapter from eBay makes it just as usable again, and for $10 more, a case), then purchasing a optical bay to HDD/SSD adapter to install a drive in. Note that there are different sizes, the more common that over 12mm thick, another around 9.5mm, and now another that's thinner (closer to 9mm for ultrabooks produced before optical drives were no longer used). If in doubt, consult the owner's manual, the sales assistant on eBay/Amazon (I prefer eBay for the usual free shipping & lower pricing). 

Or post the model on the Forum with complete specs as possible, don't forget to include Model number, though don't provide serial number. We don't need that to assist, a thief who knows what they're doing can find a way to get support (or recovery media) using your S/N, or worse yet, a rebate (or class action settlement) that may belong to you. 

At any rate, back to what I was saying, keeping the OS & one's precious Data is critical, I cannot describe in words how much so & neither can any site. Plus when using browsers such as Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, take the time to create an account, this gives one the opportunity to never lose bookmarks, extensions & some preferences, and in the case of Google, a free email account with 15GB of storage. Which can be used on Linux for free when the Insync client is offered at no cost for a few days. Once activated it on the first computer, and then the installer can be used on other ones after the activation period is over at no charge. 

As to this site, as Linux grows, I see more of the same type popping up out of nowhere over the next few years. Especially when Windows 10 ceases to stop working on otherwise healthy computers (think last of the Core 2 Duo/Quad & 1st gen 'i' series CPU's). It's going to happen, and on some, are already very sluggish, even on decently equipped hardware. Maybe it's the update rather than clean install, and maybe it's also a way to force consumers into thinking that we 'need' a new computer. If Windows 7 was running fine before the initial upgrade, that's a farce, Linux of your choice will run very fast on it, even if it's only SATA-2 capable, will still fire up in little time (a Samsung 850 250GiB SSD is a great investment for often under $80 these days), and when it does start, there's no silly neon circle waiting for things to load, it's ready to roll! :)

The rest of Linux that's not covered, we learn in time, the experience factor I spoke of above. No manuals or self-help sites can teach everything, nor has an answer for every issue. That part is up to us. :)

Cat

#13 Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:53 AM

But installing Linux doesn’t instantly unlock a fountain of knowledge in your head.

Eh? That's the whole reason I was after this... Install = Expert. Otherwise, why am I even bothering? :grinner:

Wait, I couldn't find the BBCode for sarcasm tags. I'm pretty certain it will be a long journey for me, but one that seems long overdue. I'm also pretty certain it will be a far more rewarding journey than the years I already spent getting to know a different OS. :thumbup2:

Jeremy, you may find that Topic a wealth of information, started by venerable Member Ray - rburkartjo - some years ago. It is only 231 pages long, lol, and some of the old stuff is like unearthing a Time Capsule.

That's bookmarked under my "Someday" list. Holy cow! That is a lot of reading! :P

I'd bet most anything that DC would also agree that a 8 to 16 week course for $150 to $300 to make a six figure salary is a scam, and it becomes more obvious when one clicks to close the tab, they'll offer 20% off to keep reading or watch the video.

Ya mean for a one-time payment of just $300 I could be a 1337 haXor, too? Then what do I need the Linux Journey website for?

Just let me get my checkbook... :busy:

I haven't even gotten started reading on the site yet, so much to catch up on here and at another site I've been learning from. But I'm even more excited about it now that I hear such positive things about it from those with a great deal of experience. I should start reading over there in about a week or so - I can't wait! :thumbsup2:

Not sure I've ever used so many smilies in one post before. Have a great weekend everyone!!!

A programmer's wife sends him to the store for a gallon of milk,

and she adds the instructions, "If there are eggs, buy a dozen."

The programmer goes to the store and returns home with 13 gallons of milk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users