Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Please help me fix a gift laptop for 9 yo son- Battery and Network Issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 teufeldog0231

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:17 AM

I have an HP dv6 for myself for work (for 3 years and I love it). My son is getting in to computers and coding, so for his birthday I found him a used HP dv6-1230us that appeared to be in perfect working ordder (just had some minor plastic cosmetic pieces chipped off).

The real issue started when I found out it wasn't properly wiped and there were personal.... ummm.... let's just say honeymoon videos and photos.  Plus it came with Vista.  I found a computer tech who completely wiped it and installed a legal Win 7 copy.  To top it off, he wouldn't accept any money (I am a disabled Marine and he tried joining the Corps but washed out).  So I would feel like I was taking advantage asking him for more help.

On to current issues: When I first got this in May this year it had an aftermarket batter and charger, and both worked GREAT.  My dv6 gets maybe 1.5hrs on a charge.  His got 3+.  And of course it connected to our wifi no problem.  BUT it only had 4GB RAM (not enough for Minecraft apparently), so he preferred mine with 8GB of self-upgraded RAM. I began working on his and it now has two major issues:

1. The batter will not hold a charge more than 2%.  Even plugged in overnight, and I tried using both charging cables, taking out and superficially cleaning contacts with dry q-tips, still nothing.

2. The network adapter WILL connect to our home wifi, but not the internet.  I've tried all kinds of trouble shooting, but this one it major league problem and I only play pick-up games on weekends.

Any help appreciated.  He really wants to learn to code, but that aint happening on my work laptop, lol.  Thank you in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 01 September 2016 - 06:33 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,148 posts
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

For the charging issue open a command prompt and type

powercfg /energy

This will create a html report. In the report look for you battery status.

Check the voltage of the charger with a multimeter if you have one.

For the internet issue download Minitoolbox  Check the following boxes.

Flush DNS

List IE proxy settings

List IP configuration

List Winsock entries

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Devices > Only Problems

List Installed Programs

Can you connect to the internet using Ethernet?

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 September 2016 - 08:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users