Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cd Writer Programs Not Recognizing Blank Cd.s

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phree

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:03 PM

I seem to have a problem with every cd writing program that I've tried with them all coming back with a message telling me to please insert a disc. when in fact there is one in. I've tried several different discs and even tried uninstalling the burner and forcing windows to reinstall it upon startup. When I bought the computer, the writer was internally installed, if anyone could tell me an easy way of finding out what brand it is, I will be more than glad to give the information. The system is maybe a year and a half old. Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:35 AM

You can find out pretty much anything you need to know regarding the hardware in your computer by running a program called Everest. You can download Everest HERE.

What brand and type of disks are you using? Are you SURE they are cd's and not dvds? Do these disks already have data on them? What software program are you using? What operating system - 98, XP Home etc. Are you sure your cd drive is a burner and not just a read only drive? Laptop or Desktop computer? What is the make and model of your computer?

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:45 AM

Hi phree.
Is your cd-rom light showing any activity when you first insert a cd\dvd?
If so, it sounds like the old Upper and Lower filters issue to me.
In the reg (start>run>regedit), navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. If you see any "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" values in the right hand pane, delete them and re-boot your system.

I seem to have a problem with every cd writing program that I've tried with them all coming back with a message telling me to please insert a disc.

It is never a good idea to install more then one burning application.
Before you remove the above reg values if existant, remove all your burning software first.
Afterwards, delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters reg values, reboot and re-install your favorite burning app only.

#4 phree

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:51 AM

Thank you both for responding to my situation. My computer has two seperate cd slots, one that says DVD Rom, and one below it saying CD Writer. I currently have no problems with the DVD rom, it plays everything put into it. The CD writer, however is the one having the problem. I have used it many times, with the same cd's that I'm currently trying to use now. They are all clean, not previously used, I'm sure they are CD (they say CD-R), and I'm sure that my writer is exactly that and not just a reader for I have
used it many times for the writing purpose. My desktop is an HP pavilion mx 704 operating Windows XP.

Hitsquad: Thank you very much for the information. I was unaware I should only have one burning software. I did what was suggested because when I put a disc into my writer, the light would come on and then go off, and repeat the process when removing the disc. There is, however, something I didn't notice while my 5 year old son was awake due to the extra noise: When closing the tray, there was a short but not healthy sounding noise that came from it. After rebooting, I tried putting a cd in again, and the noise was still there and the cd was still not found. As I said in the previous post, this system is barely over a year and a half old, is it too soon for something to go bad on it?

Thanks again to both of you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users