Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A bunch of new folders and files in my download folder after restart

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Miriah

Miriah

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:19 PM

I don't know what happened. North 360 needed to do a reboot to update and now I have a bunch of files and folders in my downloads folder.

Here is a screen shot of all of it

Attached Files

• Attached File  mess.jpg   162.08KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 corradettikean

corradettikean

• Banned Spammer
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:18 AM

it is AppData that I can see in attachment where as you are saying "have a bunch of files and folders in my downloads folder"

I'm confused.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

It does appear as if you are seeing those in the APP data folder. However, I have never seen ntuser.dat in APP data.

What you are actually seeing are ntdat and ntuserdat files in your MAIN user account folder. They are not in a separate folder.

An Ntuser.dat file is a Windows Operating System registry file that contains preferences and settings for each user account on a computer. Each user account has its own unique Ntuser.dat file, which Windows references to display the Start Menu, desktop icons and background, Documents folder, browsing history, and other personalized configurations. Ntuser.dat files can be found in the Documents and Settings folder, but should not be removed under any circumstances.

An Ntuser.dat file is essentially a log file that contains the user’s preferences, settings, and configurations. When Windows loads a user account, it references that user’s Ntuser.dat file in order to display his/her personalized settings.

Ntuser.dat is not a harmful file. It is an essential file to the Windows Operating System. By deleting Ntuser.dat on a user account, the user removes all settings for that account and may cause it to become corrupted or stop working altogether.

For more, read http://www.tech-faq.com/ntuser-dat.html

I notice that you have hidden files and folders/protected operating system files set to show.
The problem with allowing them to be seen is that people will look in a folder, see something they think is "bad" when what they are seeing is normal and critical to Windows actually do what is supposed to do.

Sometimes they actually delete them and end up with an unstable/unusable computer. Others immediately think they are infected, run all kinds of virus and malware scanners and panic when the scanners to not get rid of what they think is malware.

There is a reason why those folders and files are hidden. One simply should not mess with them.

My user account, hidden files and folders/protected operating systems files set to show: same thing you see
MF31WZH.png

When hidden:
HnQN8lk.png

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 September 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#4 Miriah

Miriah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:23 AM

Ah ok, that would explain why I am seeing things that I had never seen before.

Thank you so much for the help,  corradettikean and Queen-Evie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users