Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD with the strange behaviour, Alienware 17 r2

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Morok

Morok

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:55 PM

Hi, I've encounter strange issue,that after a BSOD my local time on the laptop increased by 1 hour. If I didn't fix it (just by turn off-turn on Set timezone automatically in Data and Time Settings), after the next BSOD it will increase more (+2 hours) and so on.

This common BSOD is the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, and happens all the time when i left the Photoshop opened for some time on the background (like when I went to make tea and when I came - it's already started). Before the BSOD there is a long freeze, while I can only  move my mouse cursor, but can do nothing, then - BSOD (have tried this scheme few times already).

I'm not sure, what exactly is the reason of this BSOD, but because this is my main PC, i can't just reinstall it from the scratch and spend ages by installing anew all fonts and soft I need to use.

I've added SysnativeFileCollection to the post, but perfmon report not working for me, just waiting ages without any result.

I've recently updated drivers from manufacturers site, but nothing changed.

I've tried sfc /scannow - everything went fine. I've run SupportAssistant tool with complete check-up of the system and found only one issue with system SSD drive (SMART Self-test cancelled), but as I've read on technet it's not the issue to worry about.

As for now I've encountered only those issue with the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (and lately it's ALWAYS when Photoshop was on the background) and one IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when installed drivers for external keyboard. But IRQL BSOD was gone after reboot and DRIVER_POWER_STATE was before and keep appearing from time to time, so I've decided to find help here, before trying to reinstall Windows as the final resort.

Other info:

OS: Windows 10 Home 64 bit (upgraded from Windows 8.1, reinstalled from the scratch by USB created by MediaCreationTool from Microsoft).

The laptop was bought a year ago, it had windows 7 installed, but I've reinstalled to original Windows 8.1

CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ

Video Card: NVidia GeForce GTX 970M

Manufacturer: Dell Alienware 17 R2 (2015)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HonorGamer

HonorGamer

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:03 AM

Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys 

Do a windows update, and make sure you have the latest DirectX version. Also I would reinstall your graphics drivers.

#3 Morok

Morok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:57 AM

Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys 

Do a windows update, and make sure you have the latest DirectX version. Also I would reinstall your graphics drivers.

It's Windows 10, so it installs all updates (I didn't turn off them because I haven't any issues with them).

Not sure about DirectX - I haven't any issues with games by so far, only Photoshop, but I never installed DirectX by itself - only when installed games.

I've tried reinstall (mostly, when Windows updated my Intel video driver, so I began to receive BSODs constantly without any reason). I've tried install from Intel itself (through their utility), but results were so-so. So I've deleted all drivers and reinstalled them from Dell's site. It helped - random BSODs are gone, but this crush when keep Photoshop idle for some time still here =( But i'll try to reinstall through DDU again - maybe it will help.

#4 HonorGamer

HonorGamer

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:50 AM

Please read our Forum Rules as the use of pirated software is prohibited. 

#5 Morok

Morok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:15 AM

Please read our Forum Rules as the use of pirated software is prohibited. 

My Windows is genuine, installed from Microsoft site and activated with code from UEFI. I'm not asking about the pirated software, but the reasons why I receive DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE - just mentioned the way that allow me to reproduce this issue with 100% chance. 

#6 HonorGamer

HonorGamer

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:16 AM

So photoshop isn't pirated?

#7 Morok

Morok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:20 AM

So photoshop isn't pirated?

Am I asked how to pirate Photoshop?

From the rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences. 

Am I asking how to defeat security or copyright measure or encourage to use pirated software?

#8 HonorGamer

HonorGamer

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:19 AM

Please run Driver Verifier so we can pinpoint the driver causing the issue.

#9 Morok

Morok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

Sorry for long delay, had parents came to my place, so wasn't able to make if faster.

This is minidump with driver verifier enabled. It took longer than usual, and I also had some beeping sound until the laptop loaded the OS again. Not sure it this sound were before, but maybe it means something.

Attached Files

#10 Morok

Morok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:22 PM

So, received additional BSOD, now it's FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE (it showed on the BSOD screen, but it stuck there with annoying sound in headphones, so I had to turn off power to reboot the laptop). After BSOD time was changed to +1 hour too. Any advice where I need to look?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users