Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot get into bios due to White "Enter Password" Box

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TechieTricia

TechieTricia

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

My client brought in her Toshiba Laptop

Model # C55-S5268

Intel Pentium Processor

500GB HDD

8GB Ram

Windows 10 v1511 

When I turn it on i get the "Toshiba" Logo then a Black background with a White box "Enter Password". This is NOT the Blue BIOS Password Box.

I can not get passed this to get to the BIOS. (pictures Attached) After 3 attempts it shuts down.

Here is what I have tried so far:

1. I have reset the bios by removing all power, Batteries (Including internal battery) to reset the BIOS. 

2. Entered Toshiba or TOSHIBA or 1234 as a password, still nothing

Hooked it up Sata to another computer as an external drive

3. backed up clients data

4. used the RegBack files to replace the SAM, and all other files associated in the C://Windows/System32/Config folder (Thinking this may be A Syskey hack)

5. Run Malwarebytes with 0 (zero) results

I have run out of ideas and I'm hoping someone else has had a successful fix for this.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:53 PM

Poster had the same problem here.  And here

This is a BIOS password and cannot be reset by removing the CMOS battery. Some Toshiba's can be reset by shorting solder points on the motherboard. Search youtube.

See this video. It doesn't show shorting solder points but it may get you closer to resetting the BIOS. I believe contacting Toshiba and showing proof of ownership will let them provide you with a master password.

#3 TechieTricia

TechieTricia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:06 PM

Thank you JohnC_21, 

I had thought about this, however in all my research I could see that Toshiba's have 3 Solder Points that each board might have, This one has none of the Distinguishing Marks. I looked for JPW, D500, JP1, CLR1, CMOS, J1, J2, J5, J7, J9, C88, PAD500, C738, C5071, C561, JRST1, G1 or c513 and G2 or C514, B500, unfortunately none of these are for this motherboard. 

I am NOT the owner! I am the tech. I was trying to avoid calling Toshiba, but when all else fails.........

#4 TechieTricia

TechieTricia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:35 PM

I have contacted Toshiba, They were of NO help what so ever! The guy I spoke to could only do basic troubleshooting. He gave me a new phone # to call that was supposed to be Toshiba Repair and that is a non working number. So back to square 1! 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:56 PM

Are there any solder points labeled XXX. The image also shows B500 but possible on the client's computer it is simply XXX.

satellite-bios-password.jpg

See this miniguide. I would advise the client that this is a last resort method.

#6 TechieTricia

TechieTricia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:03 PM

JohnC_21 I cannot find a XXX Either. I have been able to jump older Toshiba's but this one being only a couple years old makes me wonder if it's even possible anymore. The "Resetting the BIOS Supervisor Password With Debug Command" you sent me to was interesting, but i cant even get to a command prompt to try that! I'm a little concerned about Bricking this thing now. Any other thoughts, suggestions?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:14 PM

I think at this point it would need to go to toshiba for a new BIOS chip. There was a poster on the forum who did it himself using a USB programmer off ebay but you need some serious soldering skills.

Edit: Is there JPW solder point on the motherboard or JCMOS. The link is for the p855 but perhaps the C55 is similar.

http://superuser.com/questions/983997/where-is-the-jumper-to-reset-bios-on-toshiba-satellite-p855

Edit Edit: Were there any solder points beginning with JRST besides the one you posted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 September 2016 - 02:26 PM.

#8 TechieTricia

TechieTricia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:20 PM

Thanks but Toshiba would charge an arm and a leg for that! And LOL I don't Solder, never have been able to get that down! LOL. Sounds like my Client is just SOL. Bummer, but i do have all her data. Thanks JohnC_21

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:31 PM

See my edited post.

Also I found this. 

Possible solution:

1. Dissasemble the laptop
  2. Clip jumper wire to ground on motherboard (usually find this around a chassis screw hole)
  3. clip a paperclip to the other end of the jumper wire
  4. Run the paper clip across all the pins on the eeprom chip. (just run it over any chip you suspect it may be)
  5. Reasemble the Laptop

Thats it your done if you did it correctly you will have reset the chip clearing the passwords and the computer will start up and go into bios or windows as long as there is no hdd password as well

(also this is obvious but make sure you have no power or battery supplied to the mother board while doing this)

http://superuser.com/questions/1019351/reset-jumper-on-toshiba-satellite-c55-a-100

#10 TechieTricia

TechieTricia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

I saw this too, but doesn't that give the possibility of Bricking the MB also?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:43 PM

There is always that chance. You can tell the client if they do not wish to have the laptop sent to Toshiba there are the other options but with the risk of bricking the computer. I would have the client sign a waver if they decide to go for it.

#12 TechieTricia

TechieTricia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:48 PM

Here are a couple pictures of what i have, kinda fuzzy but hard to get too close with a cell.

Attached File  20160901_124441.jpg   160.1KB   1 downloads

Attached File  20160901_124426.jpg   131.11KB   0 downloads

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, I don't see anything other than the two small solder points labeled "2" just to the upper right of the battery clip in the image.

#14 TechieTricia

TechieTricia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:05 PM

Those are the only 2 i can think of it might be. 

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:10 PM

You probably have seen this page but some Toshiba's require you to short the points while the computer is booting.

http://laptop-and-passwords.blogspot.com/2012/05/toshiba-bios-password-removal-for.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users