Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built new PC, Look at my Hardware HELP :(

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ryn

Ryn

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:21 PM

I just built a new computer and put all the parts together in the case and turned it on the first time. The computer turned on just fine but my monitor remained black.

Inside the case a few led codes were shown plus an led light indicating that something was wrong with the CPU,DRAM,VGA, or BOOT. One of the codes it gave me were 04, the User Guide said this meant, "Power on South Bridge Initialization."

I'm not sure what to do...I've never done this stuff before its my first computer. I put a listing of my parts below

1. Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz

2. MSI Computer Gaming Intel X99 LGA 2011-v3 DDR4 USB 3.1 Type-C ATX Motherboard (X99A GAMING PRO CARBON)

3. Intel Boxed Core i7-6850K Processor (15M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz) FC-LGA14A 3.6 6 BX80671I76850K

4. WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive

5. Corsair RMx Series, RM850x, 850W, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified

6. Samsung 950 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD

7. EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB

8. Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

9. ASUS Xonar DGX PCI-E GX2.5 Audio Engine Sound Cards

Do all these parts work together? I thought i did a good job looking them all up and seeing if they matched up in specs...but maybe i forgot something?

I sent back the ram, thinking it might not of matched up with the CPU. Going to try some different ram once i can figure out what to get. 

Any help would be great! Please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

What were the other codes? 04 doesn't tell you much.

First thing I noticed is your RAM is 2666Mhz while your motherboard can only do up to 2400Mhz without OCing. Try pressing the reset button on the bottom of the board, and then the "OC Genie" button. See more here.

PS. Im super jelly about your build. X99 and a GTX 1080?!  :inlove:

Edited by Trikein, 31 August 2016 - 03:37 PM.

#3 Ryn

Ryn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:44 PM

I actually sent back the RAM today just a few hours ago at UPS. So i currently don't have any :/ but I did notice the same thing you did. I was currently looking up new ram that would be good for it.

So any DDR4 brand 2400 ram should be ok then?

Thank you for your compliments on my build, its most money i've ever spent into something like this. Tis why i'm stressing out about it :(

Aside from ram is there anything else that might need looked at as well?

#4 Ryn

Ryn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:47 PM

As for codes i think there was like 60 something as well. I should of wrote them down

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:01 PM

That type of RAM should work fine (atleast at first glance). The X99 can handle memory speeds up to 3466Mhz, and that is just with the automated OCing. Just need to fiddle with the settings to get it to boot. When you get the memory, insert it, then use the "Clear CMOS" button on the back I/O. XMP should kick in, and a little light should appear below the left RAM slots. 

Error code 04 and 60 are just informational. The only one that is important is the last code, as in the one it gets stuck on. Error 61 is a RAM error though, so you might be on the right track. Please update when you have RAM.

PS Manual is found here

#6 Ryn

Ryn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:13 PM

Thank you so much i'll be sure to message you when i get my RAM.

Also when i booted my computer i didnt have my operating system yet. Does that matter? I mean if things were working properly something should still come up on screen correct, even without operating system.

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:22 PM

Yes. The computer will "post" without a operating system, or even a hard drive for that matter. I am not sure what screen you will see by default, but to get into BIOS:

Press Delete key, when the Press DEL key to enter Setup Menu, F11 to enter Boot

Menu message appears on the screen during the boot process.

That is assuming your memory passes during post. If you don't get a screen, you should get a error code from the LED on the motherboard. 

PS. When installing the memory, check that both power connectors (JPWR1 and JPWR2) from the power supply are pushed in all the way into the motherboard. 

Edited by Trikein, 31 August 2016 - 05:23 PM.

#8 Ryn

Ryn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:55 PM

This is dumb question, does it matter what end you use for the 24 pin connector? Like which end goes in the power supply and which goes in to that JPWR slot.

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:52 AM

No. The 24 pin will have two different sides. One side that is broken into two connector(20+4), which plugs into the PSU, and one side that has one plug, which connects to the motherboard JPWR1. There should be a second ATX12V 8 pin that is the same on both sides and goes into JPWR2.

Edited by Trikein, 01 September 2016 - 09:57 AM.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:00 AM

In theory, yes. But, then most motherboard manufacturers will have an approved/tested RAM module list. I tend to try to pick RAM from that list if there is one available.

This should be the list of "supported"/test RAM modules for your motherboard unless I screwed up the search:

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X99A-GAMING-7.html#support-mem

#11 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:26 AM

In theory, yes. But, then most motherboard manufacturers will have an approved/tested RAM module list. I tend to try to pick RAM from that list if there is one available.

This should be the list of "supported"/test RAM modules for your motherboard unless I screwed up the search:

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X99A-GAMING-7.html#support-mem

Even if not on the official list, as long as the memory is XMP compatible, it should post IMO. I find those lists are more related to latency, performance, and OC compatibility then it is about whether it will work at all or not. Maybe things have changed with DDR4 though.

#12 Ryn

Ryn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:14 PM

Ok, im back with my Operating system now which is a USB. Also my new RAM came in DDR4-2400 Corsair.

I'm getting message codes 04, 60, and 55. You said 04 and 60 were just informational. Manuel says that 55 means Early Memory Initialization. Not sure what that means.

Nothing still is coming up on my monitor that I can tell...It is turned on. 

You mentioned hitting a reset button, I do see it, but how do i go about doing it? Do i turn on the computer then hit the button right away? I guess i'm not sure like the order in which I do things. Same goes with the "Clear CMOS" button on the back of my computer. Would i just his that as soon as i boot it up?

#13 Ryn

Ryn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:31 PM

Found out the order I do things for CMOS, but I don't have a jumper spot that i can find, or even the jumper itself i don't have. But i turned off the power and unplugged it from the wall and hit the Clear CMOS button. Still nothing is showing up for me. I took the CPU out to inspect it...but i don't see anything wrong. I can't tell to be honest. I'm really not sure what else i can do, everything looks to be connected tight and in the correct spots.

#14 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:50 PM

Check that there are no bent cpu pins. Try a different psu or order a replacement to test.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 Ryn

Ryn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •