Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failure configuring updates. Do not turn off computer. I turned it off :(

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eira1983

eira1983

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:01 PM

Hi there,

I really hope somebody might be able to help me fix my laptop!

I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1, but there were issues.  I cleared my hard drive and went for the Windows reformat option but my laptop said there were >1000 updates and that I should not turn off my computer.  After a while, it seemed to stop updating.  I left it for a few hours but nothing progressed, so I foolishly turned off my computer...

Now, every time I try turning it on, it reverts to the "Failure configuring updates.  Reverting changes.  Do not turn off computer".

I've tried F8 and shift+F11 tricks that I've seen on others forums - neither of these worked.

Is there anything that can be done to rescue it now?  If I did just leave the laptop for a few days, would it be able to recover?!

Sorry if this has been asked before, am new to the forum and desperate!

Many thanks in advance :)

Eira

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,881 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:32 PM

Hi Eira and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Could you please confirm whether it's Windows 10 or 8.1 that is currently installed?

#3 eira1983

eira1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:44 PM

Hello, and thanks for the welcome and for getting back to me so quickly!

I'm fairly sure it's Windows 8.  As far as I can tell, it did install successfully.  The issue arose when it wanted to install all of the updates that I'm guessing I'd accrued over the years of using the laptop...followed by my lack of patience!

Thanks again, I hope this helps,

Eira :)

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,881 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the response.

I will move your topic to the Windows 8 forum, where it will hopefully receive the attention it deserves. :)

Edited by Al1000, 31 August 2016 - 01:50 PM.

#5 eira1983

eira1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:53 PM

Thank you so much! :) 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:23 PM

Being a laptop we know that this is a OEM computer.  It should have the System Recovery partition on the hdd.  Use the System Recovery partition to reinstall the operating system.  By now you know you need to let the updates do their thing.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users