Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Try to create system image drive

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pcdrone

pcdrone

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:25 PM

Trying to create sys image drive on new computer. Just bought and formated in NTFS new (Scandisk) 64gb flash drive. This drive is recognize on new computer and another computer of mine. I read that a drive needs to formatted in NTFS.  So when trying to create sys image drive on both computers error message states drive not a valid location. Can I get some help with this......much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

What software are you using to create the image? I am not sure but if using Windows 10 File History it may need to see the backup drive as a hard drive and not a removable device. Attach the USB flash drive and right click the drive in Computer, select Properties . Under Type what is listed, Local disk or Removable?

#3 pcdrone

pcdrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:48 PM

It is seen as usb drive.  I am using win 10.....create system image disk

I did not place a label on usb if that makes a difference.

Looks like Rufus is free if that is the case would that be the easiest way to create boot-able sys disk.....thanks

Edited by pcdrone, 31 August 2016 - 01:00 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:58 PM

Right clicking the USB flash drive in Computer and selecting properties shows USB flash drive as type and not Removable disk? This must be different in Windows 10.

I would advise you use Macrium Free to create the system image. I would also create the WinPE bootable media Macrium offers so you can recover the image from a computer that does not boot. 

#5 pcdrone

pcdrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

Downloaded Macrium free and see how that works out. I will get back to this thread if there are issues.

Thanks very much for the help.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:56 PM

No problem. You will find that you can either select disk image where every partition is checked or you can do a partition image and select only the partitions you which to backup. Also, after creating the image you can double click the image in explorer and Macrium will mount the image to a virtual disk allowing you to browse the image and copy any file out of that image.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 August 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#7 pcdrone

pcdrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

I ran into issues which were no primary partition, formatted in ntfs instead of fat32 and last "volume to large". The software gave step by step instructions which i used in a dos window. I got through 1st two issues but "volume to large" no info was given.  I'm thinking to reformat flash drive in wins as Fat32 and hope it corrects volume to large. If you have any input let me know.....thanks John

Edited by pcdrone, 31 August 2016 - 08:27 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:46 PM

How much space is being used on the hard drive. It's possible you have more than 64GB on the hard drive?

You should not have to use a dos window with Macrium. You should keep the flash drive at NTFS as this will allow you to create an image over 4GB. FAT32 does not allow a file larger than 4GB.

Hopefully this video helps.

#9 pcdrone

pcdrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:49 PM

To answer your question

used space- 183mb

free space - 59gb

Flash drive is till formatted as ntfs

In the process of creating a recovery disk on the flash drive I bought. It looks like to create an image disk that I would need a good size external hard drive. I will look for one than work on the image disk again. Thank you John for your assistance and I will post on this thread any further issues with creating  image disk.

Edited by pcdrone, 01 September 2016 - 03:14 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:57 AM

That is used space for the flash drive. I was wondering how much used space is on the hard drive you are imaging. If you get a 1TB drive or larger you will be fine. BestBuy currently has a Toshiba 1TB for $50

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-canvio-basics-1tb-external-usb-3-0-portable-hard-drive-black/1749877.p?id=1219509181015&skuId=1749877

Also a Seagate.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-expansion-1tb-external-usb-3-0-portable-hard-drive/7028043.p?id=1218822594532&skuId=7028043

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 September 2016 - 07:00 AM.

#11 pcdrone

pcdrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:49 AM

Is there a way to test the recovery drive I created?.....I went into bios to change boot order so if possible to see computer boots from recovery drive than get out before there is a screw up.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:56 AM

If you mean the bootable media created by Macrium then yes you can test it by booting it. Make sure it sees both your internal drive and attached external drive. You can do this by selecting image backup. Then exit out. 

If  you want to verify the image in Windows start Macrium and select Restore Image. On the Window you will see an option to verify the image.

#13 pcdrone

pcdrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:33 PM

I used the recovery disk in win 10.but if this disk can not be checked than I will consider the rescue media wizard in Macrium.

#14 pcdrone

pcdrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

I created recovery media using Macrium Reflect but it's only using 372mb of space on usb drive. Should the recovery media take up around 20g?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:57 AM

The recovery media is only used to boot into the Macrium Interface. The disk image should be stored onto a USB external drive or if you wish onto another USB flash drive but I don't recommend you backup images to a USB flash drive. This disk image would include all partitions on the disk including any factory restore partition. 

Lets say you added numerous programs to the computer and had some major updates too. The disk image you create would restore your computer to the point of the last disk image you created including all programs and updates so if the drive failed or the computer no longer booted your could restore your computer and be back up in minutes vs hours of reinstalling the OS, programs, and then updates.

With a Windows 10 Recovery Drive, you would just be creating a bootable USB flash drive that would allow you to have the Advanced Recovery Options if you could not get to them normally allowing you to do a system restore and access to a command prompt or the factory reset on the hard drive.

You can create a system image in Windows 10 similar to Macrium using File History but Macrium has a lot of advantages over Window's own imaging program. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 September 2016 - 07:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users