Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to reinstall fingerprint reader drivers everyday

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cable2001

Cable2001

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:57 AM

This is a weird one I can't figure out and it is bothering me.

I have a Dell Latitude E5540 with a fingerprint reader that I upgraded to Windows 10. Several months ago, after one of the Windows 10 updates (but I don't recall exactly which one) the fingerprint reader stopped working. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for it and it started working. Since then I've determined that whenever I shutdown or the computer goes to sleep the drivers have to be reinstalled. Once I do that the reader works just fine until the next shutdown or sleep.

So every morning I start up the device manager, go to Biometric devices, and uninstall Synaptics FP Sensors (WDF) (PID=003f) and check off "delete the driver software for this device". I then scan for new hardware and it reinstalls and the reader works until sleep/shutdown.

I've tried searching the web for different drivers, downloading from the Dell website, and countless other things I can't recall. It's just really weird to me that it will work just fine until a sleep or shutdown. It seems like the system forgets it is there.

Anybody ever see that or have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

It sounds like it is changing the drivers everytime you restart it. What is the name of the drivers that actually work?

#3 Cable2001

Cable2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:17 AM

Attached File  Capture.JPG   29.21KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Capture2.JPG   48.99KB   0 downloads

I'm not well versed in drivers. Is it normal to have that many folders?

#4 Cable2001

Cable2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:36 AM

I checked this morning when it didn't work and it is showing the exact same driver as above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users