Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Management Software?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bjornsturluson

bjornsturluson

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:34 AM

Does anyone use password management software on their computers? I found a short guide on using KeePass for storing passwords. Does anyone know of any other resources that might be beneficial?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:50 AM

I use Keypass and think it's one of the best out there. For extra security you can provide a key file that is required before opening the manager with a password. You should always have a backup of the keyfile in case it becomes corrupted.

I use the portable version that allows it to run from a USB flash drive.

#3 bjornsturluson

bjornsturluson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:40 AM

Hey, John! Where do you store the key backups?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:27 AM

I put it on a CD and put the CD in a safe place. The keyfile is not updated.  You can also backup the password database to a CD or USB flash drive.

#5 bjornsturluson

bjornsturluson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for the information.

#6 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:21 AM

LastPass is much easier to use than KeePass; the latter is really not much better than an encrypted Notepad doc.....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:53 AM

Personally, I do not want my passwords on somebody else's server.

https://www.hackread.com/lastpass-hacked-this-time-for-good/

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:48 AM

I prefer KeyPass. I like that it can require a key file alongside a password. One can keep the keyfile on a USB drive they keep on their keychain or something. The database and program can stay on the computer. Basically, just keep the key file separate from the actual database.

LastPass is much easier to use than KeePass; the latter is really not much better than an encrypted Notepad doc.....

Eh, not really. Having "two-factor authentication" for a password database is much better than encrypting one file with everything on it.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

I use LastPass Premium and it works well for me. I have it on my desktops, laptops and phone (Android). No complains here.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 cpsi3rd

cpsi3rd

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:03 PM

Like Aura, I use LastPass (Premium version) and have found it satisfactory for my needs.  I also have a second password manager program called, Sticky Password, (free version) installed, but not enabled at the same time as LastPass. (Sticky Password serves as sort of a backup program, in case something significantly-adverse happens with LastPass).

Best regards.

#11 _NG_

_NG_

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:01 AM

I use KeePass on my laptop and I have a database stored in my TrueCrypt container, so there is a double protection :)

Of course, I have a backup on another hardisk too.

Encrypted database can be uploaded to the cloud, e.g. Google Disk and you can use it from any devices like PC, smart phone and so on.

Do not forget to use secure master password! For example at least 12 characters and so on... You know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users