Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Capture text in Word document as graphic

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:33 AM

Is there a simple way to capture a block of text in a Word (2007) document and paste it in another Word document as a graphic image exactly as it is in the source document?

I just discovered that the method I have been using for years actually doesn't work as well as I thought. I had been selecting the text I wanted, copying it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C), then pasting it into the target document using Paste Special (Alt+Ctrl+V) and then selecting Microsoft Word Word Document Object. I then remove the link by selecting the image and using Ctrl+Shift+F9.

I guess I had never copied an entry from the middle of a numbered list before. When I did that just now, I discovered that Word renumbered the list so that it showed up as "1.". The same thing happens if I paste it as an enhanced metafile picture. Putting aside what I consider the idiocy of of this happening, I now need a way to get a copy that has not been reformatted or renumbered. (sheesh)

I tried saving the document as PDF and capturing that text. That's even worse. It comes in as unformatted text.

I tried using a screen capture tool (SnagIt). It works, but the resolution is not great.

After some fiddling around, I discovered a Rube Goldberg procedure that works.

1. Save the Word document as a PDF.
  2. Open it in Acrobat and save it as a series of pages in png format.
  3. Open the pages I want in something like IrfanView, draw a rectangle around the text I want, copy it to the clipboard, and then paste it to the target document.

Using this method, I get it as a bitmap, which is not the most compact format, but it works.

Is there a way to do this directly from Word?

Why is everything so difficult? Or am I just getting old and cranky?  :smash:

8/31/16 2:27 am: Edited to correct procedure. It's Word => PDF => PNG => Graphics editor. Word cannot save directly as PNG.

Edited by Cynthia Moore, 31 August 2016 - 04:38 AM.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:44 PM

Which version of Windows?

Windows Vista (as long as it is not Vista Basic) and newer has the Windows Snipping Tool. It can capture a portion of the screen as an image file than can then be imported/pasted into the document. It may or may not suffer from the same resolution issue you encountered with SnagIt.

The other option to try is to turn off the "smart" lists in Word 2007. Personally, I tend to turn those off anyway as they tend to annoy me more than they help me. Here are instructions on how to do that:

http://www.technipages.com/word-disable-automatic-numbering-and-bulleting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users