Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cables to connect an internal HDD via USB?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 intsoccersuperstar

intsoccersuperstar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:49 PM

Hi guys,

Had a big ole HP Pavilion that I kept around because it had a Blu-Ray player, but the graphics card just died (or so I think, based on the diagnostics).  I was able to remove the internal hard drive - is there an easy guide somewhere to the cables that I need to connect it via USB to my new PC?  Or if someone knows off the top of their head what is needed, any help/advice would be much appreciated.

If it helps, it's a Samsung with model number HM641JI.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:59 PM

Is the drive an IDE or SATA?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:07 PM

What are you looking to do? Turn the internal hard drive into a external hard drive? If so, see here. Or do you simply need something to transfer the data over? If so, see here.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:24 PM

You will need a docking station: this has an AC power adapter, and is connected to your computer via USB. Your HDD inserts straight down into the slot on top, and automatically connects. You do not have to push hard, just lower it in. Make sure the Orico power switch on the back is "off". Boot your PC; let it boot up fully, and when ready, push the power switch to "on" and it will connect. Go into Explore and you should see your HDD as an added drive letter. Double-click on it and hopefully you will see all your files and system

Edited by ranchhand_, 30 August 2016 - 10:26 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users