Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely Slow Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shano627

shano627

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:00 PM

Here is the situation. Whenever i shutdown the computer, it hangs on that blue screen with the windows logo. It doesnt say anything below the logo. It stays on that for 10-20mins before finally shuting down. I ran spybot, ad-aware and a-squared antimalware...and they did not find any problems. I found out that if i stop the service called "network associates mcshield" it shuts down right away. I tried reinstalling the mcafee virus scan to see if that was the problem but that didnt solve the problem. I'm sooo lost and I dont know how to solve this problem. please help me

Shane

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:47 PM

I've heard of many problems with slowing down cause of McAfree. Are you sure you dont have a firewall too? Also are you suing a logitech keyboard?
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#3 sm456

sm456

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:57 PM

I am having exactly the same problem, on two desktop computers. I am running MCAfee, but it is the same version as my laptop, which does not have the issue. If I start up my computer with 2 accounts, and do not log on to either, it shuts down quickly. If log on though, it takes 11 minutes to shut down (I timed it). It started after loading the previous set of windows updates, but the Microsoft website has no help.

#4 shano627

shano627
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:06 PM

I've heard of many problems with slowing down cause of McAfree. Are you sure you dont have a firewall too? Also are you suing a logitech keyboard?

no and no. unless zone alarm would be considered a firewall?? but I've had that for a long time and it hasnt been causing any problems.

I am having exactly the same problem, on two desktop computers. I am running MCAfee, but it is the same version as my laptop, which does not have the issue. If I start up my computer with 2 accounts, and do not log on to either, it shuts down quickly. If log on though, it takes 11 minutes to shut down (I timed it). It started after loading the previous set of windows updates, but the Microsoft website has no help.

That's EXACTLY whats going on with me but its on my laptop! I have no idea what the problem is. I have other computers with McAfee also but they shutdown just fine. This is really frustrating me

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:55 PM

It may be that you have instructed McAfee to do a virus scan before shutting down, or some such activity. I do not use McAfee, but I suspect if you check your options/settings/preferences you might find something.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:29 AM

You can also try shutting McAffee just before you shutdown the computer and if it then shuts down quickly you have found the culprit.

If it isn't settings, as jgweed suspects and so do I, it may be a file in McAffee hanging and slowing the shutdown. If it is, uninstalling McAffee completely, rebooting and then reinstalling their latest version may help.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:21 PM

Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users