Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why can't I revert back to an older version of Windows?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 phate008

phate008

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

I upgraded to Windows 10 by force and it is way to heavy on my comp. I only have 8gb of ram and since upgrading I have been getting countless low memory warnings. I checked under recovery settings and the the revert back to Windows 8 is not there. I figured I could just do a full restore to factory settings, but this failed twice and gave me a screen saying "WDF_Violation". I booted my computer into recovery mode and when I click the different recovery options all I get is the option to restore using Windows 10. Did Microsoft really delete my factory restore files? This is ridiculous. Not only was this stupid OS forced on me, but they have stripped me of the ability to choose what OS I want. My only options now are to purchase a ram upgrade so that my computer is more compatible; inevitably costing me money so that I can use a computer that I only use to do research and watch some videos. Can anyone please suggest some options to help me. I really don't want to spend money on this computer just to make it compatible with an 
OS I never asked for. Thanks for the help guys. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:22 PM

What is the make and model of the computer?

What OS did you upgrade from?

Open Disk Management. Do you see a Recovery Partition of approx 13GB? 

#3 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:25 PM

Hi

You only have 10 days to revert back :(. The memory issue may be because of no or low page file. Lets change that:

Press WindowsX
Choose System
On the left side, click on Advanced system settings
A new window will pop up. Go to Advanced tab
Under Performance, click Settings

C2HpKQn.png

Another window will come up. Go to Advanced tab again, and under Virtual Memory, click Change

C9XyZzr.png

Checkmark Automatically manage paging file size for all drives

CAnvNWA.png

Click OK and close all of the other windows, and restart your computer

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:29 PM

If the OP had Windows 8 as a previous OS could they not do a clean install of Windows 8 using the media creation tool as the key is embedded in firmware on OEM computers pre-installed with Windows 8 or 8.1?

#5 phate008

phate008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:08 AM

I should have waited for a response first. Now I have a bigger problem. 

My computer is an HP Envy 23 D-027c All in one PC

I called HP and asked them why the system restore was showing only Windows 10 under where it said 'Factory restore from a previous version of windows'. They assured me that although it said this there was no way Windows 10 would install if I did a factory restore. So I prompted the factory restore to try and restore to its original state and upon completion the computer restarted to a blank screen. Now what I think happened is that it restored the factory BIOS, but kept the Windows 10 OS. The computer starts up, usb slots work, but the screen is blank and I can't see anything. I tried resetting BIOS blindly and it worked and restarted but didn't fix the problem. I tried removing the CMOS battery, resetting the jumper pin, but nothing is working. I am not sure what I can do about this. Could I maybe order a factory restore disk and run it in the dark? I am so pissed at myself for rushing through. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to correct this? Please, any help is appreciated. Thanks

#6 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:52 AM

I studied a little bit of this problem. I do not see no obstacle to the use of Windows 10, and also no obstacle to go back to Windows 8 / 8.1.
Simply You need to do a clean install both cases.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:32 AM

I agree. Choose which operating system you want to use and do a clean install of that OS. This will fix all of your problems.

With 8 gb of RAM, Windows 10 will work very nicely.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:34 AM

"...I should have waited for a response first..."  Time as we know it does not exist in any forums across The 'Net.  No minutes, no hours, no days.  Do I understand correctly that there are no routinely saved, on trusted external media, full images of either your OS and Data partitions or of the whole hard-drive [containing both OS and data]?  Did you create, before or after this Windows change-over, before this recent situation, any external boot DVDs or usb sticks?  Such might be needed to save your Data if a reinstall becomes necessary.

"...Could I maybe order a factory restore disk and run it in the dark?"   Let me stop myself -- is your computer screen still blank, even during power-up and boot?

Edited by RolandJS, 31 August 2016 - 04:38 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,822 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:36 AM

Roland, he states that he can see the BIOS on his screen, it is just after the BIOS that the screen goes black.

Yes of course, in retrospect he should have thought of some back-up plan, but right now he has no back up media.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:41 AM

Thanks Rocky!  I'm being distracted by home chores before going to work.  I'll go into listening mode awhile.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,822 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:43 AM

Roland, I always love your input into all of the problems and issues here at Bleeping Computer. Have a nice day.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 phate008

phate008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:35 AM

No, unfortunately I can't even see the bios screen either. I just know that I can get to it by pressing f10, navigating the down arrow 3 times, and pressing enter twice. After a few seconds the computer restarts which tells me the process worked.

I have no back up disk as this was a computer I was just using for small research and watching videos. I didn't have much saved so I didn't feel the urge to do a full backup. Windows 10 deleted all of my restore points and seemingly deleted my stock recovery partition.

How would I go about doing a clean install? Do I need to order a recovery disk through the HP website? Is there a simpler way by doing it with Windows 10? Since I can't see anything how would I do these options blindly? Thanks for the help everyone, it's severely appreciated.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:55 AM

You can either clean install Windows 8.1 if it was the previous OS or reinstall Windows 10, Both are available from Microsoft using the Media Creation Tool which is available free of charge.

What do you get when tapping Esc at boot? You should get a menu screen with several options including your UEFI/BIOS setup and a F9 option to open the boot menu to select a boot device.

Windows 10 has been know to corrupt the BIOS but that is quite rare. Windows 10 works very closely with UEFI settings.

Windows 8.1 Media Creation Tool

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 August 2016 - 09:03 AM.

#14 phate008

phate008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

Unfortunately the ROM drive on this computer is broken so I'm going to use the media creation tool with a USB flash drive. Are there any prompts? Any way I'll be able to do this without being able to see the screen? Once again thanks for all the help.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

You can make a USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool but I prefer to use the option of downloading an iso file  and then use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive. Note: If you cannot get a screen by tapping F9 or Esc at boot then you will not be able to install Windows. Not being able to access UEFI via Esc at boot means your UEFI has become corrupted.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03801890

When using the Media Creation Tool be sure to select the same version that was on your computer.  When you get to the install window where it asks for a key click next without entering anything. 

When using Rufus on Windows 8 or 10 select GPT partition scheme in the dropdown box. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image, click the small icon next to the dropdown box and browse to your the iso file you downloaded. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will be erased so backup your data if required. Attach the USB flash drive and tap F9 during boot. It should give you a screen showing your boot device which you can select. If that does not work you will need to change the boot order in UEFI. 

Here is a guide on doing a clean install of Windows 8 showing how to delete existing partitions. The same guide will work for 10. 

When using the Media Creation Tool be sure to select the same version that was on your computer.  When you get to the install window where it asks for a key click next without entering anything. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users