Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD - failure?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jms101

jms101

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

I have a WD MyBook 1140 which was working fine a few years ago and mysteriously stopped working under normal circumstances. I put it into storage because I just didnt have the time at the moment to diagnose. I just found it in an old box and would like to get it up and running.

The hard drive spins find when connected but does not show up as a disk drive. I can see it by name on the safely remove hardware and on the device manager. It shows on disk manager as not initialized.

I have tried what I can do from solutions I found online but with no luck. I have also tried "MiniTool Power Data Recovery" and the external HDD shows up in the program but both the Lost Partition Recovery and Damaged Partition Recovery did not find any files.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!Attached File  DEVM.png   333.02KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DM.png   497.76KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DM2.png   453.71KB   0 downloadsAttached File  SRH.png   493.24KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:23 PM

Not initialized is not a good sign. It could be the controller card but WD My Books have a proprietary controller so you cannot simply put the drive in an enclosure. You can try an enclosure or USB adapter but you probably will not be able to read the drive.

See the following links. Hope it helps.

https://carltonbale.com/western-digital-mybook-drive-lock-encryption-failure-and-recovery/

https://community.wd.com/t/wd-my-book-duo-data-forever-lost-if-drive-enclosure-dies/6496

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpwt13uDDZo

#3 jms101

jms101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:11 PM

I had 3 hard drives that had this same problem within 2 years. Of them all, one worked with an enclosure controller and I was able to transfer most of the data off, the other two did not work. The one that worked was a 1TB, the other two still giving issues are both 2TB. Does this mean anything?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,015 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:34 PM

I don't know. I think the only way to find out is to pull the drive from the WD enclosure and use either an enclosure or USB adapter to see if the data is detected but I don't think it will work if you have a controller card as shown in the video.

#5 jms101

jms101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:50 PM

The alternative enclosure I used for the 1TB may be the issue. It was a cheap one bought while travelling abroad and I hope (*crosses fingers) that it only supports drives 1TB and smaller. I will try to pick up a different enclosure and I hope that this is the issue.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,015 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:59 PM

You can also use a USB adapter similar to this one. You may be able to find a local source. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HD-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/330560913155?hash=item4cf6f73f03:g:LZEAAOSwUdlWhCff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users