Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why isn't my friends computer accepting the new Graphics Card I gave him?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mikejones23

Mikejones23

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

I recently installed an older GPU of mine [Nvidia Gtx 650] and 600w Corsair PSU (80% efficiency) in my friends computer (HP Pavillion, no visible model). His old PSU was a generic 300w and didn't have a PCI-E plugin so I had to install a new one.

If I plug in the power for the Graphics card, the computer beeps 6 times at me (correlating to a GPU error based on error codes) , if I disable the GPU and connect to the integrated video source it starts up just fine. So this piece of hardware is obviously the issue.

I assume I need to find out what the motherboard is to get a complete answer but I don't see it labeled anywhere. Do you think this card is incompatible with it or could it just be a simple driver conflict ?? I guess I've been lucky and never had a PC deny a GPU before, much less one like the 650 which isn't exactly a monster of a card.

I'll look harder for labels on the motherboard indicating what it is, but do any of you have a general idea on what may be happening? Certain other forums online suggested switching the boot-up from UEFI to legacy and disabling secure boot, I'm afraid to take that action unless it's a last resort, since I have no idea what the difference of these two are and why it would work.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

EDIT:

Also forgot to note that he is using Windows 8. After doing more research about UEFI/Legacy it seems to me UEFI is a faster and more stable option so I don't see why so many suggested legacy on other forums. However it has seem to somehow fix this issue for some people.

Edited by Mikejones23, 30 August 2016 - 03:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:30 PM

I suspect that HP machine does not have UEFI BIOS and so GTX 650 will not work.

#3 Mikejones23

Mikejones23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:34 AM

I found out the motherboard was a: msi ms-7778 ver 1.0 (Jasmine) and is using the AMI 80.32  3/21/2013   BIOS version.

Here is a link to the motherboard and its specs:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03343058

Here is a link to the exact computer model as a whole (HP Pavilion 500-054) , with a description of the motherboard as well:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03769164

Edited by Mikejones23, 31 August 2016 - 02:10 PM.

#4 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Unable-to-boot-with-new-graphics-card/td-p/3930544

from the bit of googleing I did a BIOS update should fix the issue.

Edited by chalup, 31 August 2016 - 10:43 AM.

#5 Mikejones23

Mikejones23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

I suspect that HP machine does not have UEFI BIOS and so GTX 650 will not work.

I have searched through the BIOS settings and its currently running on a UEFI BIOS, so this can't be the case.

#6 Mikejones23

Mikejones23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:59 PM

I am very cautious in trying out a BIOS update because I know it creates a big risk. However, can someone please verify this is the correct BIOS update?:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-500-000-Desktop-PC-series/5358992/model/5365475

It seems to be correct but a second opinion would greatly boost my confidence in initiating this update.

#7 Mikejones23

Mikejones23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:52 PM

Fixed it!

For for future reference of anyone that sees this post and has this exact computer model and motherboard - the above BIOS update file (80.52 Rev.A) WILL work perfectly fine, I was able to successfully get it installed. No USB required, just download the file and it'll walk you through it. However this update didn't immediately fix the issue, I also had to travel to the BIOS settings and disable secure boot - and within the same secure boot menu there is a "Legacy" option, enable that then put in your card and try it out.

It worked for me and now I can use the Graphics Card with no issues!

Edited by Mikejones23, 01 September 2016 - 03:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users