Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optimum being sneaky

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

Optimum is way to sneaky and invasive!

About a week ago I just set up a buddies brandy new Dell Win7 machine, I also got and hooked a remote HD for added storage.  The next day he called to say he was having an issue with his Optimum password, I said call them to get it resolved.  He called me back about an hour later to tell me it was fixed, he was totally flipped that the person that helped told him he sees a blue light on his modem.  It was not his modem but the remote drives LED, he told the person that blue light is my remote HD respomse was Oh.  How did this person see into his private area to tell him of this blue light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  After talking about it for a couple of minutes I came up with the camera on his Smart TV, it seems to be the only thing that could have possibly been used.  He has no camera on his monitor it is the only device that could see into his Private Space!!!!  That to me is a bit much "Smart TV's are way too invasive.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:11 PM

I think you might be over-estimating Optimum support. My guess is your friend had a DOCSIS 3 modem and the Optimum representative said something like

"Your modem looks good. It has blue lights"

Meaning that the D3 modem was bonding all required channels. Since user was in front of computer with NAS, not modem, they thought representative was talking about NAS. NAS only has one blue light while modem has two(usually). 

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

What was said is "I see a blue light you modem needs to be rebooted" that means he had to lay eyes on the remote drive to see the blue light.  It was obvious the modem was fine both his TV and tower were on, the guy had just reset his Optimum password.  Are modems have amber lights!

Edited by OldPhil, 30 August 2016 - 02:19 PM.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

How does the password relate to the main issue? AFAIK Optimum is a cable broadband ISP. Any password would just be for email and would have nothing to do with the connection. 

I highly doubt a Tier 1 ISP agent would even know what a NAS is, never mind be able to hack into your network, connect to a unknown API in the TV and stream it back through the 2-3 firewalls he was behind. Risking their job just to take a peek , and then admitting doing so? IMO it just doesn't make logical sense.

The only ISP I have heard to get remote viewing support is Verizon, and just recently, and only if you have cellular and FIOS, and only with a special app, and only after pressing "OK" about 3 times. 

I am not meaning to disrespect your question, I just don't know how to help. Were you looking for advice on how to check what you suspect is true? Port scans, logs, etc? Im always down to help, but I feel it might be a waste of your time. 

Edited by Trikein, 30 August 2016 - 02:33 PM.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:37 PM

I too think you are reading far more into what was said by Optimum support.

As a former Network Operations manager. Our network engineers had test console 'dashboards' that displayed different lights, depending on test results.

I cannot confirm what a blue light means for Optimum. But I can hazard an educated guess. That a loopback signal was sent and the modem didn't respond and indicated 'blue' necessitating a reboot. I would be comfortable stating that the 'blue' status light was on the technicians screen and not from an actual visible image they were observing.

FTR my cable modem has green, blue, amber and red status lights.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

That is it, it was his Optimum email password.  So now we know Optimum also looks into your private space!  No help needed just informing the general public of what we found.

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

"So now we know Optimum also looks into your private space!"

No, "we" do not know that. That is completely opposite of what have been said. If thinking that makes you feel better, go right ahead, but it does not align with the facts. I used to work for Cox, a similar ISP, and Animal said is very likely. 

If you want to know for sure, have you and your friend call Optimum together. Get it straight from the horses mouth. Ask THEM what they meant. I think you will find it was basic inside verbiage.

Edited by Trikein, 30 August 2016 - 02:48 PM.

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

I have to agree with Trikein and Animal here. There is no way a customer support guy knows how to hack at the level needed to gain access to a TV with a camera, or at least the possibility of him/her knowing how to is pretty low.

The likely scenario is (as I believe both Animal and Trikein has pointed out) is that the tech has the ability to monitor and see what the modem is doing, probably even knows what lights it is showing at any given time. Your friend was probably just confused and then confused the tech on the other end with the whole external HD info stuff.

Really I wouldn't worry much about it. The tech resetting the password would just be for the email/account. Not to get into the modem itself or anywhere on your friend's local internet.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:42 PM

I'm curious to know what kind of issue he was having with his password.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users