Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover Intel 6 Series USB Enhanced Host Controller? USB's don't work!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kg14uk

kg14uk

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:16 PM

Hello everyone! :) I am new to this forum, so here goes with my first problem...

Please help me!!

I have a very simple but confusing problem with my desktop PC. It is a HP Pavillion p6 series (2035) running (a heavily customised) Windows 10 system. I have deleted/uninstalled something by mistake that I need to recover.

HP are "unable to help" due to expired warranty! I have 2 USB ports on the front, and 4 USB ports on the back.

In my Device Manager, under USB Controllers, I UNINSTALLED the following by mistake (now missing!):

Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller 1C2D

Please note the 1C2D.

This is missing and my rear USB ports no longer work! The simular file for "Enhanced Host Controller 1C26" which is for my front USB ports is present and correct in Device Manager, and all working fine (currently used for my keyboard and mouse!)

Windows Update has attempted to correct this, but was unsuccessful, and has given me error code 0x800f0219  which I do not understand.

Obviously, I cannot update or use the drivers until this item is reinstalled, and viewable in my Device Manager.

How can I recover this missing 'Controller 1C2D', complete with working driver file? I cannot use my printer until this is fixed, so any kind help would be much appriciated.

Thanks,

kg14uk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

What works in many cases is to delete the USB stuff in Device Manager then reboot, Windows will load generic drivers that usually work.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 kg14uk

kg14uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

I am not sure that is a good idea, as I need the remaining two USB's for my keyboard and mouse! I would prefer a more direct solution :) Might consider this as a last resort. Without my USB keyboard and mouse I have no control over system...

Any other ideas?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:02 PM

In Device Manager click the top most tree, your computer then select Action > Scan for Hardware Changes. Does it detect anything?

If not download the intel Update Utility to see if it detects your USB ports.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu

#5 kg14uk

kg14uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:46 AM

Thanks John. The 'scan for hardware changes' did not find anything (including the missing USB ports). So I installed the Intel Update Utillity and ran it. It did find one chipset file to install. So I installed it, and then restarted my PC.

But all for nothing it seems, as USB host controller is still missing, and 'scan for hardware' again finds nothing. 

Just to be clear, what I did wrong was not 'disable' it, but 'Uninstall' it completely.

:( Now what?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:44 AM

I am not sure. Even uninstalling, the Scan for Hardware changes should have picked up the chipset. Unfortunately for Windows 10 all these drivers are native so you cannot download a separate driver if the utility found nothing. 

Do you have a restore date before the uninstall? Do a System Restore

#7 kg14uk

kg14uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:16 PM

Oh dear, something else has now happened! I tried uninstalling the other Host Controller (for front usb's), with the idea that after manually restarting machine (with no usb's working initially), windows would force install generic drivers and host conrollers). But, i forgot to disable my password at login! With no usb ports working, and no ps2 on tower, i cannot use keyboard to login to windows with my password! Stuck at lock screen!
Time to go to repair shop??

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:24 PM

Try the following. Your keyboard may still function at the Advanced Boot Options which you can get to by doing the following. From the Advanced Options do a System Restore.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

If that does not work you can download Windows 10 here. Boot the DVD or USB flash drive you create. At the Window with Repair Computer in the lower left, click it and do a System Restore. 

#9 kg14uk

kg14uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:17 PM

Ok John, thanks for the kind advice. Will try all this. If no luck, then repair shop. I feel dreadful about my minor mistakes that caused all this to happen! Oh, woe is me!

#10 kg14uk

kg14uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 07:25 AM

In case anyone is interested, this problem is solved. A repair shop has my thanks! My PC had no working usb ports, and no other way of using a keyboard to log in with my windows password. It was looking grim for a while, but thanks to "some deep registry work" (which I am told was in a bit of a mess!), problem was solved. 

In this day and age of 'USB only' desktop computers, my advice to everyone is to never 'uninstall' all your USB controllers or ports, and certainly not with a windows password screen active!

KG14UK.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

FWIW:  Uninstalling USB controllers...probably had nothing to do with your issues.  The controllers are typically provided by Windows...if Windows can boot properly, then the drivers for the controllers should install properly.  If the drivers get damaged...uninstalling, then reinstalling fresh/new drivers...is the standard way of getting things corrected.

If your registry was damaged...and files of all sorts can become routinely damaged...it is the damaged drivers/files, not the uninstallation, that was the key problem, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users