Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning Laptop Interior

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 girlie

girlie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:28 PM

My HP Pavilion ze5600 laptop is making a really weird noise when it runs, I think there is a lot of dust buildup inside the computer, as I haven't cleaned it in the 2.5 years I've owned it. My problem is, I don't know how to open the bottom of the laptop, I've removed all the screws, and yet it still won't open. If anyone has any ideas for me, please, let me know! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:54 PM

"Gaining the same degree of access to components available to desktops is a painstaking process--I would be surprised to find a procedure outlined in any user manual. This is a task the manufacturer will always refer to an authorized repair tech, but it can normally be done at home with a small screwdriver and a large amount of patience. If your machine is no longer waranteed, the only real limitation is your comfort level with the job.

Full disassembly is hardly necessary, though. The few notebooks I took apart had very little buildup in areas that could not be reached through an access panel or modular bay. Remove battery, CD drive bay, memory & accessory access panels, lift the keyboard, and vacuum or spray out the dust as best you can. Individual keys can be pried loose on many models, to brush stubborn particles from the keyboard. Spray compressed air through CPU fan inlet and other ventilation grates. This will get you pretty far.''

Found the above on the web and thought the comments might be of use to you.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:39 AM

Do not disassemble the computer. This is especially true with an HP laptop. Taking a laptop apart requires knowledge and skill or parts will break.

Simply get a can of compressed air and carefully blow into the areas where there are air intakes and fans visible on the side and bottom of your computer. If you can look inside and see 'fins' on a cooler, then pay special attention to cleaning these.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:22 AM

I'm not really sure what the stigma with notebook dis-assembly is all about other then the fear of the unknown. It's no big deal :thumbsup:
As stated above, you'll likely not find much dirt accumulation because most notebooks don't have an air intake function, only exhaust.
That said, the only way to properly clean it is to take it apart.
Blowing compressed air into the open holes can cause more harm then good and will only add to the buildup in spots were the dirt cannot escape.
If you wish to dis-assemble it, the service manual (in pdf) is here.
Be gentle, take your time and you'll be fine. :flowers:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:39 PM

After a bit of hard work searching the web for my Toshiba's hard drive bay - I stumbled upon a pictorial description about how to disassemble it.

I'd suspect that you may find something similar with some in-depth googling.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:22 PM

I stumbled upon a pictorial description about how to disassemble it.
I'd suspect that you may find something similar with some in-depth googling.I'd suspect that you may find something similar with some in-depth googling.

That's what service manuals are usasma. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users