Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Reinstall after virus will not see available disk drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cberger01

cberger01

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:48 AM

I had a virus on my Dell Precision 5810, removed it using Malwarebytes, however continued to have misc problems. Decided to just wipe the hard drive using the Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit disk. I am doing the basic-hit F12 on start up, choose run from CD, files load properly, however when it gets to the step on picking which partition to use it says there are no available drives. Usually at this step I would choose the already used partition delete it, create new and be on my way. Is there something that would be causing the C drive to be hidden? I can run the Windows 7 install when I am already logged in and it will give me the option to delete the files but says it will keep the old files as windows.old.  I am not sure if this will give me the same result as running it from the CD at startup. I want to make sure there are no remnants of the prior installation.

Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:59 AM

The problem occurs because Windows does not have the storage controllers on the install disk. See this Dell thread. You need to download the correct storage drivers and put them on the root of a USB flash drive. At the windows showing Load Driver, click the link and it will load the drivers off the flash drive. Don't put the exe file on the flash drive. You need to extract the files from the exe file.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 August 2016 - 11:00 AM.

#3 cberger01

cberger01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:37 AM

That worked! I had downloaded the driver but did not know to extract the files. Thank you so much!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:45 AM

No problem. Glad you sorted it out. May  I ask one question? In BIOS was the mode set to RAID or AHCI?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users