Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP VM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:41 AM

Is there a way to run WinXP programs on a Win10 machine?

Better yet, is there a way to set up a virtual machine on a WIn10 machine and port an entire WInXP installation? By "port" I mean take a mirror image backup of the existing system and restore is lock, stock, and barrel to the VM.

Even better still, is there a way to set up a WinXP system in the cloud and port an entire WinXP installation there?

I need to upgrade an old WinXP PC, but it is running a mission critical program that will not run on Win10. I will be phasing that old program out over the next year or so, but will need to run it at least periodically until then.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 02 March 2017 - 07:33 PM.
Moved from Wiin 10 support to 'Virtual Machines and programs'.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

XP can be run in Windows 10 with Oracle VirtualBox
https://www.virtualbox.org/

VirtualXP Free lets you convert your old Windows XP PC into a virtual machine
http://betanews.com/2014/09/04/virtualxp-free-lets-you-convert-your-old-windows-xp-pc-into-a-virtual-machine/

How to Convert a Physical Windows or Linux PC to a Virtual Machine
http://www.howtogeek.com/213145/how-to%C2%A0convert-a-physical-windows-or-linux-pc-to-a-virtual-machine/

Note that when converting a Windows PC to a virtual machine, you may encounter licensing issues. Windows Activation may detect that it’s running on a different machine and require you to contact Microsoft to get it properly activated. Windows licenses are only supposed to be in use on one computer at a time.

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:35 PM

Thanks, Doc. I'll check into those.

Have you used any of them yourself? Do you know if it's possible to clone my XP system from its mirror image backup?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:54 AM

It's also possible to run VM's from the cloud, but I don't have much of an idea on how to do it.

blueelvis (a member here) has done it with Azure - I'll send him a PM to see if he can post about it.......

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:09 AM

Hi Cynthia Moore ^_^,

It is a hassle running legacy operating systems like Windows XP in the cloud since they are not natively supported. There are workarounds but they are not concrete and you might run into trouble while using them. Furthermore, Microsoft is not going to help you when you try running workarounds in their cloud. So, I would not recommend running Windows XP in the cloud.

SpywareDoc has given you some fantastic links on converting the physical machine to a virtual machine. I have worked with VMware Physical-2-Virtual Tool and I was very impressed with it. You can check it out over here - https://pjsquared.com/2009/07/08/how-to-convert-a-physical-winxp-machine-to-a-vm-p2v-for-use-in-virtualbox/

You can run VMware Player (Free) or the VirtualBox (Free). Both are good and would satisfy your needs.

Regarding your backup image, I am afraid, you would have to restore that image and then use the converters to convert it to a Virtual Machine. Using the converter, it would be like porting only ;)

Thanks John for the PM as well ;)

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#6 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

You can run VMware Player (Free) or the VirtualBox (Free). Both are good and would satisfy your needs.

Regarding your backup image, I am afraid, you would have to restore that image and then use the converters to convert it to a Virtual Machine. Using the converter, it would be like porting only ;)
-Pranav

Pranav,

Thanks for the information. I got caught up with some other work demands, so wasn't able to get to work on this until now.

I just got off the phone with VMWare tech support. The guy was amazing. He really knew his stuff. He tells me that I can download VCenter Converter to the XP machine. It will convert the entire machine to a virtual machine and write it out to an external drive. I can then download VMWare Player on the Win 10 machine and it should be able to load the XP VM created by the converter and run it in a virtual machine.

I think that's what I am going to try. If I run into licensing problems, I'll deal with them at that time,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users