Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Classic Text Based Rpg

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:17 PM

There was a game ... a long time ago..maybe 20-25 years ago that was essentially a text based RPG. You started in a town where you can equip your characters and then you enter a dungeon where you do typical rpg stuff. I am not sure what platform it was and thought it was called Sword Quest, yet I still can not find any info on it.

Anyone remember a game similar to this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JosephM

JosephM

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:02 PM

is it called castle of the winds? that game bleeping owned everything ever!

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,568 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:28 PM

Downloaded it. Looks to be freeware now. You can get it here:

http://www.rpgclassics.com/

It is not the game i was looking for. This game was completely text based.

#4 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:48 PM

I think I remember something like that. Was it for the Atari 2600. I remember I hadsomething like it but its wasnt mostly text-based...
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,568 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:11 PM

No i am pretty sure it was either for the commodore, apple iie, or pet/tsr

#6 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 12:37 PM

Do you know if its a DOS game? Also is it fully text-based or partially?

Edited by Nat Sci, 20 August 2006 - 12:37 PM.

Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,568 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

Pure text. I found the game . It is a good called sword thrust and can be played by downloading the apple iie emulator here:

http://applewin.berlios.de/

and then downloading the various adventures here:

http://www.eamonag.org/pages/beyond_eamon.htm

More info on eamon which is the predecessor to swordthrust, and that contains 250+ free text rpg adventures, can be found here:

http://www.eamonag.org/

#8 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:29 PM

Nice game. I ran into that .dsk file but I couldnt open it cause I didnt have the emulator. Anyways the games nice but confusing.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,568 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:48 PM

Takes some getting used to. Plays like an infocom game but is an RPG at its core.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:09 PM

What about Larn and Moria or Rogue, my brother said L&M was the best.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,568 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:03 PM

Those are dungeon crawls as welll, but they use text symbols to represent items in the dungeon. This game is a true text only game. Where descriptions of the rooms are written out as a story.

#12 rogue1

rogue1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:56 AM

Another Text based game I used to enjoy was LORD Legend of the Red Dragon. Played that one on the BBS's! I did download it to play on the PC.

Nice writeup at: http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/library/PROG.../ehrenreich.pdf

You can play it here: http://www.silent-running.com/lord.htm

Other site (haven't fully checked it out.. possibly has the files you can download)

http://lord.lordlegacy.com/main.php

Edited by rogue1, 22 August 2006 - 10:59 AM.

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,568 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:34 AM

Hmm..would love to play that. Silent-running seems to not work...also someone should tell them to fix their font.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:24 PM

While I was researching,I came upon this TRIVIA

In 1983, Atari ran the SwordQuest contest, in which contestants would play the game to get clues (2 numbers) that lead them to a certain page and panel in the included comic book. They then sent in the correct words and their entry and a certain number of contestants were flown out to Atari to compete in a championship game.

In the case of EarthWorld, it were 50 contestants who found the correct clues in the EarthWorld comic book and were trying for a gold Talisman of the Penultimate Truth that had 12 diamonds and the 12 zodiac birthstones around it and a white gold sword on the front. This item was won in August of 1983 by Steven Bell. It is rumored that Mr. Bell kept the sword but sold the rest for $15,000.

The FireWorld round also had 50 contestants who found the correct clues in the FireWorld comic book. This round was played for the Chalice of Light, which was made of gold and platinum with jewel decorations. This was won by Michael Rideout, who still has it in a safe deposit box.

SwordQuest: WaterWorld was initially sold only through the Atari Club by mail order. Forty-Five people found the correct clues in its comic book but only 10 were to compete in the championship round (drawn randomly). They were to compete for the Crown of Life, a gold, jewel-decorated crown.

But before the WaterWorld round was played, Atari was sold and the contest was cancelled. The remaining copies of SwordQuest: WaterWorld were sold in stores and SwordQuest: AirWorld, which was in development at the time, was cancelled and it and its comic were never released.

The 10 finalists of the WaterWorld round were offered compensation checks of an unknown amount. Steven Bell and Michael Rideout were also offered compensation checks of $15,000 because they would not play a Grand Prize round.

Had the contest continued, the prize for the AirWorld round was to have been the Philosopher's Stone, a large piece of white jade in a gold, jewel-decorated box. The grand prize was to have been the Sword of Ultimate Sorcery, a full-size sword with a silver blade and a gold, jewel-encrusted handle.

What became of the crown and stone is unknown. It is rumored that the sword was kept by Jack Tramiel, but this is unconfirmed.

The Atari SwordQuest contest prizes were created by the Franklin Mint.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 Infern0

Infern0

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

Hey Grinler,

If you would like to play L.O.R.D. go to Nuklear Lord. I used to play on there, Good times!
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users