Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window 10 Memory Low Warning.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AndyR257

AndyR257

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:39 AM

I updated my system to Windows 10 1907 about a week ago and ever since then I'm getting warning messages saying "My memory is low and I should let windows close down some programs . . .etc." I haven't installed anything since upgrading, in fact the only change is the update to 1607, no problems before. I've checked my memory in the Resource Manager and it's saying that I have 2648MB of memory free, so the warning is an bug. (I have 8GB installed.)  Has anyone else had this problem?   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vlasko

vlasko

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:45 PM

When you get this warning message.  On task manager, performance tab, what does it list for the committed memory. 

#3 AndyR257

AndyR257
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:47 AM

I can't remember now, but it was nowhere near 8GB.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:22 AM

I don't think that this is a known bug of Windows 10 1607. You might want to scan for Malware.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Warlord711

Warlord711

• Security Colleague
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:27 AM

I guess the vMem setting is disabled. Usualy, Windows automaticly manages vMem aka SWAP aka pagefile.sys.

Click Start > File Explorer. Right-click on This PC, then left-click on Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab > Performance. Click Settings

In the Performance Options window, go to the Virtual memory section, and click Change

By default, the size of the paging file is managed by Windows.

Please make sure the checkbox "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" is enabled or you have at least the status "System managed" on at least one Drive.

Oh and of course, enough free space on the drive, at least 1,5 the size of RAM memory.

Also, you shouldnt use virtual memory on a SSD drive.

Edited by Warlord711, 31 August 2016 - 06:30 AM.

#6 AndyR257

AndyR257
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:15 AM

I do use an SSD, but the vMem is set to a max and min of 800MB. I can't remember where I got that figure, but that's what was advised at the time. But let's remember that this error never occurred before I installed 1607, so it has to be something attributed to the update. I generally only use one program at a time and I can't see any background processes or services useing large amounts of memory.

Interstingly, if I ignore the error window, i.e. not dismissing it, leaving it open, Windows carries on exactly as before, it doesn't slow down or throw another error. This is why I think the error message is a bug. I suspect it will go away with a future update sometime. I was just interested to see if anybody else had experienced it.

Thanks for your replies.

#7 AndyR257

AndyR257
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:25 AM

P.S. I scan regularly for malware and such and it's completely clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users