Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Updates just keeps "Checking"

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 E-Chen

E-Chen

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:37 AM

I'm a relative novice to troubleshooting computers. My last updates for Vista were installed 26/07/16, KB890830 twice. The last check for updates was on 8/8/16 and my computer states it is up to date.

Now Windows Update just runs forever. I started it 10:00 last night and it was still "checking for updates" this morning. This morning I tried installing Windows6.0-KB3177725-x86.msu, Windows6.0-KB3153199-x86.msu and Windows6.0-KB3145739-x86.msu but they just go into "Checking For Updates" when  I click to run them.

Am I doing something wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:21 AM

- Yep, the usual "Windows Update" problem. Try this guide. (It also provides instructions for Vista users). It also gives more details on how to diagnose this problem.

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4799.0.html

#3 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:06 AM

I'm a relative novice to troubleshooting computers. My last updates for Vista were installed 26/07/16, KB890830 twice. The last check for updates was on 8/8/16 and my computer states it is up to date.

Now Windows Update just runs forever. I started it 10:00 last night and it was still "checking for updates" this morning. This morning I tried installing Windows6.0-KB3177725-x86.msu, Windows6.0-KB3153199-x86.msu and Windows6.0-KB3145739-x86.msu but they just go into "Checking For Updates" when  I click to run them.

Am I doing something wrong?

Hi E-Chen:

The "Checking for updates..." hangs and slow Windows Updates are a common problem for many Vista SP2 users.  Please see my instructions in post # 2 of cryss92's thread Windows Update Problems.

The standalone update packages (.msu files) will get stuck at "Checking for updates..." if you have an unfinished Windows Update session running in the background.  STEP 1 of the step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours note that users should disable automatic Windows Updates [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)] and re-boot (the re-boot is critical) to terminate any Windows Update sessions.  That always works for me, but some users have found that it also helps to disconnect from the internet before running their . msu installers (hint for STEP 5) and then reconnect after all necessary .msu installers are installed.

In extreme cases it might be necessary to temporarily stop the Windows Update (wuauserv) service to prevent the .msu installers from hanging.  Open the Windows Services at Control Panel | System and Maintenance | Administrative Tools | Services (or just Control Panel | System and Maintenance | Administrative Tools if you use the Classic View in Control Panel), click on the Windows Update service and click the Stop the service link in the top left corner as shown in the image below.  Again, remember to re-start the service again after all necessary .msu installers are installed.

Attached File  VIsta Windows Update Service wuauserv.png   49.16KB   6 downloads

EDIT:

You also said in your original post that "My last updates for Vista were installed 26/07/16" so STEP 3 of the instructions in m#l's thread might show that KB3177725 (MS16-098: Security Update for Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers: August 9, 2016) is the only Win32K.sys update missing from your system.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.2 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 30 August 2016 - 08:18 AM.

#4 E-Chen

E-Chen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

Thanks Folks - Much appreciated.

I will now go through your posts and follow the process.

I'll update again when Vista is al tickety-boo again.

#5 Kawaii-Volt32

Kawaii-Volt32

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

http://wu.krelay.de/en/

Download all the updates that you need for your OS and version (x86 in your case), make sure updates are set not to check automatically until you have installed all the ones you need in the right order.

Restart the computer each time you need to do this, by the way!

Once you're done, set updates to check automatically again, and in a reasonable amount of time, you should be receiving updates again!

(I'm posting this for reference for those that have clean installations of Vista, like me, from recently, and couldn't update, Imacri pretty much covered it though, which I didn't previously notice. Thanks for helping me as well Imacri on the Vista x64 forums.)

Edited by Kawaii-Volt32, 30 August 2016 - 11:14 AM.

#6 E-Chen

E-Chen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:17 AM

Thank you to all.

My Vista machine now uses minimal resources to run windows update - as opposed to 50-60% CPU.

Checking for updates now completes in minutes as opposed failing to do anything but check for hours.

The August updates all downloaded and installed and Windows reports it is up to date.

So thanks again, much appreciated.

#7 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

Hi E-Chen:

Thanks for the feedback, and glad to hear your Windows Update is running normally again.

If you used Dalai's workaround at http://wu.krelay.de/en/, keep in mind that is only a temporary solution. Dalai revises his list of required Windows kernel-mode-driver (Win32K.sys) updates every Patch Tuesday (the second Tuesday of the month).  The September 2016 Patch Tuesday updates are scheduled for 13-Sep-2016 and if you leave automatic Windows Updates enabled you will likely find that your "Checking for updates..." hang and high CPU consumption will return next month after Microsoft releases their next batch of Patch Tuesday updates.

To avoid this problem, I've permanently disabled automatic Windows Updates [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)]. I wait a day or two after each Patch Tuesday, check Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/, and download and install the standalone update package (.msu file) for the latest Win32K.sys update added to Dalai's list.  Once the new Win32K.sys update is installed my manual Windows Updates always run "normally" (i.e., "Checking for updates..." finishes in about 25 min and not several hours) and my remaining Patch Tuesday updates install successfully.

I don't think Vista users will see a permanent solution for these slow Windows Updates unless Microsoft either purges some of the outdated (superseded) updates in Vista's update catalog wsusscn2.cab (see Dalai's background information at http://wu.krelay.de/en/info.htm) or they release an updated Windows Update Agent (WUA) that speeds up searches on computers with slower CPUs and limited amounts of RAM.  The Vista WUA at C:\Windows\system32\wuaueng.dll  is currently v7.6.7600.256 and hasn't been updated since June 2012.  Microsoft is clearly aware of these slow Vista updates but I doubt they'll provide a permanent fix before extended support ends for Vista on 11-Apr-2017.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.2 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

#8 E-Chen

E-Chen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:34 AM

Thanks Imacri.

I had re-enabled the automatic updates but I'll take your advice and stop it again ready to make sure the next lot function as they should.

#9 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

I had re-enabled the automatic updates but I'll take your advice and stop it again ready to make sure the next lot function as they should.

Hi E-Chen:

These days it's unusual for Microsoft to release important security updates for Vista or IE9 outside of Patch Tuesdays, but when automatic Windows Updates are disabled you can always run a manual Windows Update (Windows Update | Check for updates) once a week or so just to see if there are any available updates.  These manual Windows Updates should run relatively quickly, and you shouldn't have to worry about "Checking for updates..." hangs and high CPU consumption until the next Patch Tuesday (i.e., the second Tuesday of the month) when Microsoft releases another large batch of security updates.

------------

#10 Mordovian

Mordovian

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:50 AM

Once again I reinstalled Vista. I had to install KB3177725, KB3168965, KB3164033, KB3145739, KB3109094 and KB3078601 to make Windows Update working.

No CPU cores saturation, no memory leaking. It took less than 10 minutes to check for new updates (206 important and 5 optional).

#11 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

I downloaded the update he recommends for January.

After that, all I got (after "checking" for an hour) was the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - January 2017 (KB890830).

Edited by bcmo, 12 January 2017 - 08:18 PM.

#12 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:17 PM

Hi bcmo:

Yes, KB3216755 and the Malicious Software Removal Tool for January 2017 are the only Important updates you should expect if you were fully patched as of December 2016.

Please see post # 326 of KellyB56's thread Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates" regarding the January 2017 Patch Tuesday updates.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v50.1.0 * NIS v22.8.1.14 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 12 January 2017 - 10:22 PM.

#13 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

So it would seem that Microsoft is (almost) dropping Vista three months early, instead of April as promised (otherwise why would there all of a sudden be no updates this month aside from two).

#14 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:44 PM

So it would seem that Microsoft is (almost) dropping Vista three months early, instead of April as promised (otherwise why would there all of a sudden be no updates this month aside from two).

Hi bcmo:

I wouldn't assume that.  According to the Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for January 2017 there were only four security bulletins published for all versions of Windows this month. That includes KB3216755 (Vista and Win 7 only) plus a few miscellaneous updates for the Edge browser, Adobe Flash (Win 8.1 and Win 10 only) and MS Office 2016. Woody Leonhard noted in his 10-Jan-2017 AskWoody.com article Windows 7, 8.1 patches are up, "That's the lightest Patch Tuesday I've ever seen."

We'll just to wait for the February 2017 Patch Tuesday updates on 14-Feb-2016 to see if Microsoft releases another large batch of security updates for Vista SP2 that results in another round of "Checking for updates...." hangs and slow Windows Updates.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v50.1.0 * NIS v22.8.1.14 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 12 January 2017 - 11:51 PM.

#15 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:06 AM

I BELIEVE THIS, TOO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users