Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linking internal domain for Server 2012 to external internet domain of same name

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bedij03

bedij03

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:46 PM

Hi there. I'm stuck in this and need some help out. I have set up a lab testing environment with Server 2012 and exchange 2013 at home using  x.com domain for example. Now I have a dynamic Ip address at home for which I use Dyn DNS provider to resolve my IP address every time it changes with x.dyndns.net example. Also I have bought a internet domain from crazy domains with same name as my internal domain on server which is x.com. All I want to do is link the server 2012 and exchange 2013 to this external domain keeping in mind I have a dyn dns as well instead of static Ip. Also my ISP blocks port 25 for SMTP and can only use port 465 with SSL. Can someone tell me what changes do I need to make on my Server and internet domain to make this up and running. Any suggestion would be appreciated :-) If someone can detail this in easy steps then that would be great as the same setup could be used by other home users to try out and learn.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:20 PM

You would need split brain dns to resolve local vs internet domain names.

That's going to be a bit complicated in Exchange.  It can be done. 

Edited by Wand3r3r, 03 September 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:05 PM

You'll also need a certificate from an external certificate authority, like Verisign, to make the encrypted SMTP connection work.

Depending on who the domain registrar is for the external domain, you may or may not be able to use Dynamic DNS. Spammers tend to use it, so some registrars refuse to allow it -- you may have to shell out for a static external IP address.

In any event, you would only want to make the Exchange server externally available -- you don't want anyone from the Internet to be able to access your 2012 server if it is domain controller. if it's just being used as a file server, then you could make it available externally, but it still risks being hacked.

#4 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

You also might have issues with exchange down the line due to blacklisting and such if your IP keeps changing. These days alot of mail providers have alot of restriction on their end to make sure you are who you say you are and to verify who sending the email.

If your IP changes, you will risk getting blacklisted or emails being marked as spam over time since emails coming from a range of IP addresses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users