Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Network Adapter Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jakzanto

Jakzanto

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:57 PM

Hey, so I'm pretty new to this, so I'm just going to get right into it. Yesterday, I was on my laptop, and things were fine. I was watching movies, talking to friends, but then the night came and I decided to get some sleep. I close my laptop and place it on my desk to charge while I sleep. When I wake up, I discover that the PC has restarted, which I didn't do, but I didn't think much of it at first. As I log in and allow the PC to start up my programs, I quickly discover that where the little wi-fi button in the lower right (Where the battery icon and speaker icon is), has disappeared. So I go into my Settings, then go to Network & Internet, I see that it is telling me that I'm not connected. I sigh in confusion, though as I press "Show available networks", I soon discover that the only option to press is Airplane Mode, and where it usually says WiFi, it has completely disappeared. So now, I've tried everything from Uninstalling and Reinstalling the network adapters, which have done nothing. I've searched the Internet, trying to find everything, though everything I try and watch turn out to fail. If anyone could tell me how to fix this, it would be extremely helpful. I'm currently on a wired connection, which isn't bad, but I would prefer Wireless, since it is very slow. Thank you for reading.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Sigh.PNG   295.94KB   0 downloads

Edited by Jakzanto, 29 August 2016 - 03:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:46 PM

What is the make and model of the computer. Did you download the drivers from intel's site. In the image posted I see intel AC-31... what is the rest of the number. 

Windows 10 has had it's share of Wifi troubles. 

Try the Network Troubleshooter but if Ethernet is working Windows will most likely say there are no problems.

In the search box on the taskbar, type Network troubleshooter.

#3 Jakzanto

Jakzanto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:23 PM

Uh, well the laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5559, and I haven't installed anything from the Intel site, I've just used everything that was pre-installed (note that it has been working for like 5 months). The network adapter name is Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160. And I'll try the Network troubleshooter now :)

#4 Jakzanto

Jakzanto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:25 PM

The troubleshooter said;

Reset Your Network Configuration
We were unable to detect your networking issue, however we can reset your computer's network configuration for you as a possible resolution. This will remove any virtual adapters you have installed and will reset all network settings to their default values. Your machine will reboot after this action, please save any open files before continuing.

I did this a few hours ago, and nothing changed.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

Please do the following. Right click the Wifi adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post.

#6 Jakzanto

Jakzanto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:02 PM

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B3&SUBSYS_84708086&REV_83

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:12 PM

It looks like you have your phone, or something, tethered to the computer using a Remote NDIS via USB. If so, try unplugging it and rebooting the computer.

Edited by Trikein, 29 August 2016 - 06:12 PM.

#8 Jakzanto

Jakzanto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:17 PM

Yeah, that's the wired connection with my pocket wifi. It's was like that before I connected it to my laptop.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:21 PM

I would create a restore point before installing the following driver so you can revert if it fails

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26171/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=75442

#10 Jakzanto

Jakzanto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:56 PM

Yeah, I don't think anything changed...

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

You can download a linux distro to confirm if the wifi adapter failed or this is some kind of Windows 10 problem.

Mint Cinnamon 18 would be a good choice. Download the iso and either burn to a DVD or use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Tap F12 at boot and with the flash drive attached and select the boot device.At the desktop your wireless will be in the lower right. Click on the icon and provide your WIFI password to connect.

If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 you may need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI settings.

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sarah_cinnamon_whatsnew.php

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=217

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users