Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I switch from Norton Security to ESET?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OverlyInfernal

OverlyInfernal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:08 PM

Hi! I've recently started to question my Norton Antivirus as its been ignoring things that turned out to be malicious and giving false positives on things that clearly arent, because of this my brand new desktop got infected with a browser hijacker called Chromestart4.ru, and as far as I'm aware I've been able to get rid of the issue, I truly truly hope!

Now, upon reading about Antivirus software I came across A LOT of differing opinions, some say AVAST, some say Kaspersky, some say Norton and some say a hundred other options and I have absolutely NO clue.

I want whatever is considered the safest and that continues to make its users happy and keep them and their computers safe.

Which is where ESET comes into the fold, is it good? Or should I say better than Norton? The price is very good in my honest opinion and it seems to be the better choice here, I'm hoping that someone on this forum can help me come to a decision because I do not want to have to send my computer back to have it fixed by the store I bought it from because my Antivirus couldnt remove a virus or heck even prevent it.

I'm looking at getting ESET Smart Security, apparently that is the best option I can possibly go for.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

Everyone has an opinion on what is best.

I have use Eset Smart Security for several years and have no complaints about it. It does what it is supposed to do.

What I suggest is that you take Eset for a test drive.

A 30 day fully functional trial would be ideal for you to see if it suits your needs.

You can download it from here https://www.eset.com/us/free-trial/

Simply download and save the installer.

Uninstall Norton. I suggest you use Revo Uninstaller. Use advanced mode. After uninstall if asked to reboot, say No. Then scan for leftover registry, folder and file entries.  Revo download http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

Reboot and install Eset.  Make sure to enable the Potentially unwanted applications option during setting. I can't remember exactly what they call it.

If Eset balks and says Norton is still on your system use the Norton Removal Tool which is available here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/norton-removal-tool/

Read this post by Quietman for information on Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 August 2016 - 02:27 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:53 PM

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.

Although Norton (Symantec) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it it requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. Further, there have been numerous complaints about lack of sufficient support from the vendor.

I have read from other users that Norton has made improvements in newer versions of their software so they are not as resource heavy as past versions...while others still say differently. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative. IMO, Norton (Symantec) is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers. With that said, there are a lot of folks who prefer using Norton (especially if it came preinstalled) and there is nothing wrong with staying with a product you are satisfied with. However, you may want to read about recent security holes found n Norton Anti-virus.

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution with real-time protection for maximum protection.

I generally recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium as the backbone to supplementing anti-virus software. Although if you use Emsisoft, it is not necessary to use a separate antivirus solution since EAM combines its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus. See my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend these programs.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 OverlyInfernal

OverlyInfernal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:52 PM

I've read up more on ESET Smart Security aswell as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and I think thats going to be perfect for me, seeing as I just use this computer for general browsing (Smart browsing, not careless!), Facebook, Youtube etc etc, gaming and making and producing music.

Seriously thanks to the both of you, making the switch from Norton to those two services is probably going to be the best decision I make this year!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:07 PM

No problem but keep in mind that there is always the option to just use Windows built-in Firewall along with ESET Anti-virus instead of purchasing the Smart Security Suite which costs more money. Windows Firewall will protect you as well as paid for products without having to learn how to use and configure advanced settings. Windows Firewall runs in the background and provides automatic protection without the user having to do anything.I have used ESET Anti-virus with Windows Firewall for years without any issues.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users