Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Building Bussiness Home/office PC build (Right Parts Selected)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tech390

tech390

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:38 AM

Hi,

As some may of seen in my intro post I would like to start up (well at least give it ago) my own computer business selling computers. At the moment I have a basic plan of what I want to sell and have been doing a lot of research as well as watching many Carey Holzman videos online. I am good at putting computers together however the part I am not good at is knowing if the parts selected are the right parts for the type of system. That is were I am hoping you guys can help me out.

This is the first system I am going to try and sell with the idea that it can be used in the home or office or for small business it may not seem much profit but I hope to try and make a £20 ($26) profit on this system. At first I will only build one and then see how it goes from there and how quick it sells. My fall back plan if I cannot sell it though my own business (I will be making a website) is to then sell it on eBay but hopefully it wont come to this and I will be able to start a successful business and progress onwards here hoping.

Here are the parts:

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Case

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core G4520 3.6GHz Socket LGA1151 3MB Cache (I though i5 would be better but research says otherwise and has been pointing towards the Pentium)

Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Socket LGA1151 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel HD Audio UATX

Ram: HyperX Fury 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 CL14 SDRAM DIMM 288-pin Memory

HDD: WD Blue 3.5" SATA Desktop HDD 7,200RPM

Optical Drive: LiteOn IHas124 24X Internal DVD Reader/Writer

PSU: Corsair CX Series CX450M 450W 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular ATX PSU

Price: £351.46 ($459.42) I'm looking at make £20 profit on this machine so looking to sell around £371.62 ($485.77)

Are these parts the right parts for a home/office set up please by all means feel free to swap parts out with better or more suitable parts as you see fit as well as give advice on my pricing.

I'm am really serious about starting this business up it means a lot to me and your help in getting me there is very much appreciated.

Tech390

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:25 AM

Let me see if I have this right...you posted a topic and you want the members here to advise you on what compnents will help you achieve a profit from selling said system to someone?

Aside from the incongruity I see...what happens when you decide to sell more systems?

Louis

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:51 PM

I build a few units, but do not have a set example of what parts I use.  A client specifies what they want the system to do, monitor, storage, etc.  I then ask if a budget is a factor and go from there.  My local Fry's electronics has a liberal return policy so if the hardware doesn't play well together, I can swap out the offender.  No plan will survive thirty seconds beyond the initial ordering stage.  Out of stock, limited quantities and software to match always need adjustment.  Fry's is great to select what you want from what they have in stock, along with desired mounting platforms, chassis, everything you need.  I assemble the unit on an anti-static sheet first and power up the bare essentials first and adding the options one by one, getting each to work and not interfere with what's already loaded and working.  Loading sequences might come into play when things reach a point where a new install won't play nice with what already exists.  There's a lot to be said for manufacturers bundling units, it's all been tested before shipping.

#4 tech390

tech390
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

Let me see if I have this right...you posted a topic and you want the members here to advise you on what compnents will help you achieve a profit from selling said system to someone?

Aside from the incongruity I see...what happens when you decide to sell more systems?

Louis

I can full see and understand your concern however everyone must start somewhere and my way of starting somewhere was to ask around on this forum and get some ideas and helpful advice. On the subject of what happens when I decided to sell more system then by that point I hope that I will have a better understanding of selecting parts needed for a build and will no longer have to ask people to confirm if the parts are correct. I am also planning on furthering my research by getting the book Upgrading and repairing systems.  

#5 tech390

tech390
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

mjd420nova

So what you r saying is rather than have set systems that customers can choose I should instead wait for customers to come to me (of course by promoting myself so people know I build computer) and then talk though with them about what they would like from the system. i.e. workstation, gaming, video editing and then after sorting out the budget go from there and start getting the parts together. Or of course once knowledge has build up ask the customer if  they have some idea of what parts they wanted to use I looked at Fry's and they do look good but sadly they r not in the UK and shipping from the US (if they even do) will take a long time and add cost to the build.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:02 PM

What MJD said...makes sense, if you think about it.

Unless you live in an awfully small geographical area...and no one has access to the Internet...it's somewhat ridiculous to believe that you can compete with the Dells, Best Buys, Amazons, etc. of this world...all of whom have "stock" systems on hand in inventory that they can easily provide to customers within a very short period of time.  Those, and other entitites, provide any potential buyer all the stock PCs that they could crave.

The same is almost true when it comes to systems which are non-OEM and put together by someone.  Those agencies just pr0vide the customer with a little more flexibility than the OEMs and big retailers do.

All in all...I would not suggest the steps that you initially laid out...selling computers is not for the enterprising individual in 2016.

If you want to have a service to sell (assembling a PC is a service provided by an individual deemed to be knowledgeable)...I think that you have a way to go and you may need to rethink your original plan, IMO.

Louis

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:53 PM

To the OP, you will need to install an operating system on that build. If you use Windows then you will either have to buy it yourself and raise the price of that system or have the customer buy it and install it, which most customers are not willing to do.

If you install a Linux system many customers will be scared off.

So expect to raise the price of your first build by at least 90 pounds.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

What little bit of business dabbling I did years ago taught me some things:  one can set one's prices way too low, one can have a razor-thin profit margin, all of which will allow for almost no business growth.  If one has to engage in Customer Service, Technical Support, Repair and/or Replace services -- those "departments" are necessary "cost centers" that have to be paid for out of Sales [whether one is selling products and/or services].  If you desire to avoid failing like I failed years ago -- become an apprentice or an employee of somebody alread successfully doing what you want to do someday, learn from, work with, such a business until you have acquired enough management, sales, customer service, technical support, repair/replace knowledge and experience.  Then, you will not fail like I did years ago -- rather, you will probably become a sucess -- you have the heart, you have the courage, you only need some more business head knowledge.  Michael Dell began his company out of his dorm room and later his garage if I remember correctly, purchase his book, and add that knowledge also.

Edited by RolandJS, 30 August 2016 - 03:41 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

Well either way, good luck with the adventure.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users