Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Start Menu Display Changed on it's own

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chembel

chembel

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:42 AM

The start menu on Windows 10 changed the way that it is displaying on it own. The normal options show up as icons on the left side of the menu and the full list of All Apps comes up by default right next to it.

It currently looks like the attached file named "08-28-16_NewDesktop" and it used to look like the attached file named "08-28-16_OldDesktop."

I am currently running Malwarebytes to see if there is any suspicious files. I am also going to be running sfc /scannow on the machine, once Malwarebytes is finished, to see if there are any corrupted system files.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

Thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:04 AM

The change in look appears, just based upon the change in background, to be connected to the theme being used and the Accent Color in Settings->Personalization->Colors either being set to something dark or, perhaps, being chosen based on the background.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

Well here is the thing, I can't show you exactly what the machine with the "new" appearance looked like before so I took a Snipit of what my other Windows 10 machine looks like. The one thing I will say about these two machines, is that one is on Windows 10 Home and the one with the correct Start Menue has Windows 10 Pro running. I don't know if that is the problem but as I said I ran Malwarebytes on the machine that has the funky strat menu and I found that there are PUPs, etc. on that machine. I also ran AdwareCleaner and it found a bunch of stuff on the machine. I cleaned that up and I am now running HitMan Pro on it. So far it has not changed the start menu back but I am glad to have these things off of the machine.

#4 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:55 AM

Well, the system file checker did not find any integrity violations. I am at a loss as to why this has happened. If anyone can give me some suggestions on how to fix this, I would really appreciate it.

Somehow, it feels like it is a setting that allows the default Power, Settings, File Explorer (Default Start Menu) to be displayed as icons only and the All Apps listing to be displayed as a list when you click on the start menu button. The icon Start Menu has an expand button on it so that you can see the text for the icons but there is no option to change that display.

I am totally at a loss as to how to fix this.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:12 AM

Actually, now that I've looked more closely, I don't think that there is anything you can fix.

I'm willing to bet money that if you run the "winver" command on the machine with the dark start menu you are going to find that you are running version 1607, the Anniversary Update version, and on the other you're still running 1511.

Your version on "the dark machine" looks almost precisely like my Win10 Home 64-bit start menu after the Anniversary Update was applied down to the replacing of the user icon at the top with the "hamburger stack" expand button.  This is simply the next-gen start menu.  If you don't like the dark color you can easily either change themes or go into the Personalization Settings, Color Pane and select a different color for your Accent Color and that will be the end of that.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#6 chembel

chembel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:41 AM

Yes, I had come to that very same conclusion after doing much searching on the Web about this. I saw that many of the screen captures in recent instructional texts had the start menu looking just like this. And yes, my Home machine was updated to the 1607 Anniversary Update. I really hope that my other, PRO, machine stays like it is. I really prefer that the full list of Apps does not show up right away. I rarely use the app list. I have everything I need in the tiles. But we will see.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this and give me a reasonable explanation as to why this happened.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:55 AM

chembel,

This is what the new Start Menu will look like across Home and Pro.  If you don't use the app list and find it visually distracting then just click the "hamburger stack" button at the top left and it gets hidden, but that change doesn't stick between invocations and I see no way to make it stick.

People wanted a Start Menu that was even more like Windows 7 and this was the desired result.  I generally ignore the apps list as I use either the tiles I've set up or the "Most Frequently Used" list, but having it there for the occasional access for the less frequently used bits is really quite handy.  It becomes very easy to ignore once you know its there.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:19 PM

I'm willing to bet money that if you run the "winver" command on the machine with the dark start menu you are going to find that you are running version 1607, the Anniversary Update version, and on the other you're still running 1511.

Your version on "the dark machine" looks almost precisely like my Win10 Home 64-bit start menu after the Anniversary Update was applied down to the replacing of the user icon at the top with the "hamburger stack" expand button.

You would win that bet.
I saw the same thing immediately after the Anniversary Update.

#9 purpleflower

purpleflower

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:50 AM

i had similar on the same day after an anniversary update for windows 10, my daughter had a problem a few weeks ago, she told me to restart my pc, after i had spent 2 hours checking everything, hey presto all back as i had it before grrr updates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users