Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming laptop(future proof)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wjason777

wjason777

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:28 PM

Hello. First I would like to say this. It's been about 10 years since I brought a laptop.
I'm in the market for a gaming laptop that I could take on the road with me. My budget is about $2000. I've had my eye on 2. Alienware AW15R28469SLV with 970nvidea gpu 3.5ghz I7 1tb and 256ssd. For about $1800
This second one is the MSI GS63VR STEALTH PRO-001. It has a 2.6 I7 with 1 tB 128 ssd with a 1070nvidea card with 2.6ghz i7.

Which one would be the best price. Isn't 2.6ghz to slow for a gaming laptop or has technology changed that much in the last years that 2.6 i7 would run anything.?

What are you guys input on this ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:37 AM

I've heard good and bad things about MSI, a lot of good about Alienware but since Dell took over I've heard bad things there too. So I guess I didn't help any there, but, 2.6 isn't too slow if you have an i7. I have a Cyberpower with an i7 and 2.4 that turbo's up for gaming and it runs everything I own. I had to upgrade to this because my old laptop would not run Borderlands 2 or newer. 

I had heard a lot of bad things about Cyberpower, and good things, before I bought this laptop but I've nothing but praise for it in the 4 years I've had it.

If it was me, I would probably go with an i7. whether it was on MSI or Alienware. Personally, I would take Alienware over MSI because I've heard more good about them, but I think it may be a crap shoot...

Good luck!

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:53 AM

I think that the idea of "future-proofing" for gaming developments...is an idea that has no validity.  I don't game...but last week I took a look at a number of laptops, doing research for a friend.

Every laptop that I saw earmarked as a "gaming laptop" had an i7 CPU, so that seems to agree with comments made by Wildabeast above.

IMO, gaming is the cash cow (along with institutional use) of computing.  Any economic entity with a cash cow...tries to perpetuate those cash inflows...lots of R&D, lots of changed technology...lots of future sales revenues.

The idea of "future-proofing" is terrible, IMO, because it assumes a stagnancy and known...which does not exist in the field of computing.  Games, systems, components...all these change constantly and with those changes come new sales, new revenues.

Computer users like me, who do not game, can buy a system and be reasonably happy with it and its components for a reasonably long time....because just about any system which could be assembled during the last 10 years...can easily do the things which a casual user wants to do on a system.  That will probably continue to be true for a given number of years...but I don't consider that "future-proofing" of any sort.  It's just the fact that the dynamics of daily computing for non-gamers and non-enthusiasts have become attainable goas for any system.

That's not the case with gaming...IMO, everything is constantly aswirl...game requirements increase, technology developments increase....I see no end to the cash flows generated by gamers.  "Future-proofing" sounds to me like something that someone dreamed up in the Advertising/Marketing department at Intel, Dell, et alia.  An empty phrase, IMO.

System requirements depend on the games users choose to run.  I see no way that anyone can predict how those requirements/wants will be dealt with by those who have a vested interest in keeping things in a dynamic, ever-changing state.

Louis

PS:  Almost forgot...the idea of a gaming laptop...has all the limitations of a laptop in addition to the dynamics I mentioned above.  If I were a gamer and wanted the greatest possible latitude for enjoying my pursuits...I would build a desktop and plan on modifying the key components of such as the gaming world continues on its never-ending path of evolution.  In any case, I think that you should visit the BC Building A System forum and see what the folks there think about "gaming laptops" and "future-proofing".

Edited by hamluis, 29 August 2016 - 06:58 AM.

#4 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:58 AM

I definitely Agree.
But which of the 2 laptop would you pick?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:11 AM

LOL...I'm not qualified to suggest a gaming laptop, I'm not a gamer so I really don't know what's important..if either is better than the other...and so on.  I consider buying a computer...a much cheaper version of "I want a new car" and (for me) the criteria for making a purchase...varies by each person.  I have no criteria for such, since I'm not a gamer and I don't like laptops (disposable computers).

There are others here far more qualified to make suggestions regarding your queries...be patient and give them a little time :).

Louis

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:04 PM

I wouldn't go with either honestly. Alienware is overpriced for the hardware you get. Of the two MSI might be a better choice but I don't know a whole lot about them.

Check out xoticpc.com. They carry a few different brands, and you can customize the heck out of them. I bought a Sager from there about a year ago and its worked out great.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users