Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Freezes On Startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:43 PM

My little brother has a Dell laptop running XP Home with service packs up to date. Not knowing what hell he has unleashed on his computer it now freezes at the windows is starting up screen. I tried to run the repair tool of the Windows XP Installation disk but I couldnt even boot to that. I think it may be a serious hard drive issue but I'm not sure. Any help greatly appreciated. I also tried running several tools off the ultimate boot cd and got nowhere.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:54 PM

Try these for a start:

Run a full virus scan with current virus definitions.
Run a full spyware scan with current definitions.
Defrag.
Has your brother installed any new software or hardware lately?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:34 AM

It should have booted with the Windows XP Installation disk regardless of whatever is causing the problem.

Go into your bios setup and change the boot order temporarily to run from the cd first. It should then boot from the Windows disk and you can either enter the repair console or do a repair installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users