Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ACPI Problem in Win 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Syn

Dr Syn

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:42 PM

I'm having a curious problem.

I have a homebrew machine using an MSI mother board and gpu, I5 processor, 16 gigs of ram, and Win 7 home premium.

I started out with a problem in a Seagate USB hard drive. It disappeared from windows explorer. A little experimentation revealed that the problem was it wouldn't turn on if I either rebooted the machine or turned it off and back on. The only way it will work is if I turn off the machine, power down, including the power to the disk drive, and turn it back on. Then, everything is fine.

While searching the device manager, I found something curious—there are two entries labelled Microsoft Windows Management Interface for ACPI. Both have the yellow triangle. Both show this error message: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19).

I could use some assistance here.

1. Could this be the cause of the usb hard drive problem? (It works on another machine using Win 10.)

2. What do I do about this?

It seems to imply that the registry needs tinkering. While I have done that before, I know that it requires absolute precision, and I'm not certain what needs to be changed and how.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:22 PM

Instead of tinkering with the Registry { Not Advisable } , uninstall the exclamation { Yellow Triangle ] drivers and if prompted remove from PC.

Then reinstall the drivers from your Mobo Disc or from the Mobo Website as applicable.

Then when done Reboot PC and connect USB External Drive and it should install ok.

If you still have issues , rescan Device Manager , and any with issues , right Click and select Properties and select Details tab then in  Properties List select ID , this will give you the Driver required and you can download it manually from web and install it.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:41 AM

Or... open the Advanced Boot Options by tapping on the F8 key immediately after starting the computer.  Use the up or down arrows to move the cursor, press Enter to select the option.  When it is open select Last known good configuration.  Last known good configuration reverts the operating system to the condition it was in before this probelm occured preventing the operating system from starting normally. 

Edited by dc3, 29 August 2016 - 09:42 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Dr Syn

Dr Syn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

Ok, now I'm confused.

I used Kerish doctor to clean the registry.  (I know, I can hear you all moaning about how dangerous it is to use registry cleaners.) I actually didn't intend to do so, I just used it to check the registry, then hit the continue key by mistake.  It was too late to stop, so I just let it continue and rebooted.

Surprise.  The disk drive works perfectly now!!

But the device manager still shows those two ACPI devices with yellow triangles.

I've updated all the drivers.

So, I still don't know what those ACPIs are controlling (I don't seem to have a problem with anything else.)

Anyone know how I determine what devices those entries control and what do about the code 19 problem?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:51 AM

http://www.acpi.info/

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users