Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard recommendations for Win98se

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rayoptics

Rayoptics

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:40 PM

Hi everybody,

I would like to get some recommendations for suitable boards to run 98se on.  I've read that some of the early P4 boards will work. Socket 370s will work but that seems pretty old. The P4s were a little faster.  I'd really appreciate your suggestions.  Thanks,  Alan  :)

Edited by Rayoptics, 28 August 2016 - 07:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:52 PM

What physical devices will you have Windows 98SE running?  I ask because you might need PCI slots, maybe Legacy [black] slots, AGP[?] slot.  I cannot remember if DOS programs requiring Extended or Expanded memory ran under W95-98SE.  It's been awhile.  I do remember having loads of DOS-fun with WFW311 and earlier.

Edited by RolandJS, 28 August 2016 - 08:53 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#3 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:18 PM

Hi Roland,

Most of what I'll be doing will be fairly light weight stuff, but I might use it to burn some music discs with an old version of Nero.  I have a nice M-Audio sound card and a card for the monitor / graphics if I need it. oops almost forgot the old scanner, but that needs no slot. Three PCI slots would be enough.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:07 AM

Check Ebay within your area , should be able to pick something up quite cheap / or free locally.

I have half a dozen PCs resting in storage of that vintage , you never know but their there.

Just a link on Mobos and 98/SE  http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/236256-48-need-motherboard-windows

#5 BrianVS

BrianVS

• Validating
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:05 PM

I've been using a Syntax P4S651M motherboard in a "Northgate" Celeron 2.4Ghz machine for 10 years now. The motherboard comes with a full set of drivers for Win98Se and  XP. I have 1.2GBytes of RAM in it- which requires setting Win98 init files to NOT use all of memory. You can find the details on the Microsoft website. I installed W98se on it to use real-mode with the Phar Lap DOS extenders. A case where DOS can use all of memory, but Windows 98 cannot.

I picked up a spare mother board on Ebay for ~$15, "just in case" the original ever has problems.

Edited by BrianVS, 08 September 2016 - 04:06 PM.

#6 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:53 PM

Thanks Brian, I'll look for that. What a bunch of die hards we are, huh ? :warrior:

#7 BrianVS

BrianVS

• Validating
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:50 AM

One quick note- if booting into Real-Mode DOS, set the BIOS to DISABLE Ultra-DMA mode for the disk if you run into problems. I have a 2GByte disk that works fine with it, another 40GByte drive that came with the computer that did NOT work in real-mode. Both work fine when booted into Windows without disabling Ultra-DMA mode.

#8 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:37 PM

Will do. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users