Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing while streaming video

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sllofoot

sllofoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:40 PM

Hey guys,

This one has been eluding me so I'm looking for outside help.   This computer belongs to a friend of the Wife, who uses it for World of Warcraft and watching videos on youtube and hulu.   She says it's frozen up off and on over various incarnations and has had some hardware changed (gpu, hard drive for sure- memory and motherboard have never been changed).   

OS - Windows 7 x64 
· What was original installed OS on system?   Unsure.   It had been reinstalled once or twice.   When the computer came to me the windows installer was acting up and I couldn't update drivers or install Windows Updates so I just reformatted and re-installed Windows 7 Ultimate at the owner's request.

· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?  Full retail version I purchased for personal use some years back and never used, so I had it laying around.
· Age of system (hardware):   Uncertain.   5-6 years old maybe?  
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?   2 weeks old.

· CPU:   Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.00GHz
· Video Card - 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD R7750
· MotherBoard - NVIDIA NFORCE 790i ULTRA SLI (Socket 775)  (It's a XFX and their website makes it very hard to find drivers for anything but video cards)
· Power Supply - I thought this was the problem originally so I pulled it's original power supply and it's currently using a spare I had laying around, which is a BFG brand, 800W.  Part Number BFGR800WPSU

· System Manufacturer - Custom made at a local gaming computer shop in her old hometown somewhere in New Mexico.  
· Exact model number:   n/a

· Laptop or Desktop?   Desktop

She said it was freezing up all the time.  I got it to do so once or twice before I reformatted and switched the power supply.   Afterward, it appeared to work flawlessly here at my house.  I made my wife run raids in WoW while playing hour long youtube videos and it didn't act up, so we sent it home.   A day later it was up to it's same old tricks.  She brought it back and I set it up on the kitchen table and suffered through two episodes of Hoarders on hulu and the computer didn't freeze, even though I begged it to.  I figure it's probably hardware related, but I didn't know what to look at next.  

Thanks, in advance, for the assistance!

edit:   To clarify; computer does not BSOD.  It freezes and requires a hard reboot.  

edit2:   This was posted following the instructions at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/.   Driver Verifier is now going, and I'm working on the hard drive and ram checks. 

Attached Files

Edited by sllofoot, 28 August 2016 - 07:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:51 AM

First off, if it freezes at her place, but not at yours - what if it's her network?

What do you do differently at your house than she does at hers?  Such as WiFi vs Ethernet, etc?

Let's have a look at this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

Finally, here's my suggested diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

If they all pass, then try this:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

This is going to be very difficult if it's hardware - as you have to wait for the freeze after trying each and every individual thing.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 sllofoot

sllofoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for the response!

First off, if it freezes at her place, but not at yours - what if it's her network?
What do you do differently at your house than she does at hers?  Such as WiFi vs Ethernet, etc?

I've considered that and don't really have a great way of testing.   She's had the same issues through multiple moves and service provider changes, including all new networking hardware, and there are multiple devices that do not have issues with her network.   That doesn't really prove it isn't the network, but it's worth noting.

I'm replying to attach the errors from the Event Viewer- and I was trying to do so the first time, I experienced my first freeze, so that's something.   There are numerous error 41s so I'm reading through that doc but wanted to get this error file posted straight away.

I did notice a potential temperature issue that might warrant mentioning even before the results are back from Speedfan logs.   As you can see in the Speccy screenshot below, the Motherboard temperature is running higher than I figure it should be.  A related question would be, "Where do motherboards even monitor their temperature?"  Is it around the processor socket?   I have to say that I've never had to pay attention to motherboard temperature before.

It may be too early to give valuable information but I've attached the speedfan logs up till now as well.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:49 AM

96ºC is mighty hot for the chipset!

I have no idea where the sensor is mounted on motherboards.

Try checking the temp manually.  To do this, BE VERY CAREFUL!!! - you can get 2nd or 3rd degree burns from this!!!

When it freezes, unplug the case from the wall and open it up.

DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING - just feel around close to the motherboard and the components.without actually touching anything

When you get near 96ºC, it'll feel as if it's too hot to touch - even before you actually touch it!

Event ID 41's are Windows' way of saying it doesn't know why it shut down.
Overheating can cause an unexpected shutdown, and this will generate the Event ID 41 error after rebooting.

We figure a hardware problem when the errors preceding the shutdown aren't repeating the same thing just prior to each shutdown.

Edited by usasma, 30 August 2016 - 07:50 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 sllofoot

sllofoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:08 PM

I don't think the heat reading is correct.

I've gone over every inch of the motherboard with an infrared thermometer and never got over 40 degrees Celsius.

Memory and hard drive tests come back clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users