This one has been eluding me so I'm looking for outside help. This computer belongs to a friend of the Wife, who uses it for World of Warcraft and watching videos on youtube and hulu. She says it's frozen up off and on over various incarnations and has had some hardware changed (gpu, hard drive for sure- memory and motherboard have never been changed).
OS - Windows 7 x64
· What was original installed OS on system? Unsure. It had been reinstalled once or twice. When the computer came to me the windows installer was acting up and I couldn't update drivers or install Windows Updates so I just reformatted and re-installed Windows 7 Ultimate at the owner's request.
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? Full retail version I purchased for personal use some years back and never used, so I had it laying around.
· Age of system (hardware): Uncertain. 5-6 years old maybe?
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? 2 weeks old.
· CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.00GHz
· Video Card - 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD R7750
· MotherBoard - NVIDIA NFORCE 790i ULTRA SLI (Socket 775) (It's a XFX and their website makes it very hard to find drivers for anything but video cards)
· Power Supply - I thought this was the problem originally so I pulled it's original power supply and it's currently using a spare I had laying around, which is a BFG brand, 800W. Part Number BFGR800WPSU
· System Manufacturer - Custom made at a local gaming computer shop in her old hometown somewhere in New Mexico.
· Exact model number: n/a
· Laptop or Desktop? Desktop
She said it was freezing up all the time. I got it to do so once or twice before I reformatted and switched the power supply. Afterward, it appeared to work flawlessly here at my house. I made my wife run raids in WoW while playing hour long youtube videos and it didn't act up, so we sent it home. A day later it was up to it's same old tricks. She brought it back and I set it up on the kitchen table and suffered through two episodes of Hoarders on hulu and the computer didn't freeze, even though I begged it to. I figure it's probably hardware related, but I didn't know what to look at next.
Thanks, in advance, for the assistance!
edit: To clarify; computer does not BSOD. It freezes and requires a hard reboot.
edit2: This was posted following the instructions at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/. Driver Verifier is now going, and I'm working on the hard drive and ram checks.
Edited by sllofoot, 28 August 2016 - 07:55 PM.