Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to change boot drive on a W10 laptop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bipolarbear

bipolarbear

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:52 PM

Hello all, I'm having some issues with new hardware, mostly since I only know just enough to really screw things up.

I bought a Lenovo Ideapad 15ISK with a 1TB hdd.

Copied files from an older laptop to a thumb drive and dropped them on the desktop of the new machine.

Ordered a 128gb Adata M.2 ssd from amazon.

Opened up the laptop, inserted the ssd, and checked under This PC, did not see the drive.

Searched google a bit, and then went into the boot menu in the bios, changed to legacy support with legacy attempted first

Then restarted the laptop and went to disk management (don't know if I needed to mess with the bios since I didn't try this first)

Seeing the ssd, created a simple drive in the unallocated space, which is now drive E:

Downloaded Easeus Todo backup to the hdd, installed to the hdd, then cloned the hdd (C drive) to the ssd (E drive).

Moved the ssd up in the boot order to #2, which is where the hdd was. #1 is windows boot manager.

Restarted the laptop, which took a while. The Lenovo logo came up 3 times, then the starting blue screen, then the login screen, and finally the desktop, but it took quite a while before the taskbar items showed up, so it all is still very slow.

I deleted some items on the ssd, as they are files I won't be accessing often, but left them on the 1TB hdd as that's just what I want it for.

Went back into the bios and moved the ssd to #1 and the hdd down to the bottom.

Restarted again, and it's the same story with the Lenovo logo coming on a few times and an overall slow boot, and I also see that the desktop still has the items I deleted from the ssd desktop, so it seems to still be booting from the hdd.

At this point, I don't know what to do to make the ssd the boot drive to allow me to clear out the hdd just for storage. There is no optical drive on this laptop, which prevents me from using some suggestions I've seen in searching for solutions, as I cannot boot from a cd/dvd. Do I rename the drive letters? I can delete all the files from either drive if I need to partition or something to make restore points, they're all still on the 128GB thumb drive and the old laptop. Basically, I know it isn't working how I would like, but have no idea to fix it.

Edited by bipolarbear, 28 August 2016 - 06:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:39 AM

Reset UEFI to default values (as long as default was what was used with HDD).

Reclone HDD to SSD (this presumes that the HDD was booting properly when it was last used)

Attempt to boot

Otherwise, use the Media Creation Tool (and a W10 ISO) to create media to install W10 ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ )

Then boot from the USB and install W10 on the SSD.

Attempt to boot

Let us know what happens with these tests.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bipolarbear

bipolarbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:06 PM

Reset UEFI to default values (as long as default was what was used with HDD).

Reclone HDD to SSD (this presumes that the HDD was booting properly when it was last used)

Attempt to boot

I reset UEFI to default, quick formatted the M.2 SSD and downloaded macrium reflect to clone the C: drive. Looking in disk management after the clone, the E: drive still doesn't say it is a boot, page file drive, just healthy.

Do I change the boot order before restarting? Some suggestions also say to disconnect the hdd, should I do that as well? Thanks.

I also just started a W10 download to a thumb drive with the media creation tool.

Edited by bipolarbear, 29 August 2016 - 10:17 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:35 AM

Install using the W10 media and see if that works.

If it does, then the problem is with your disk image.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bipolarbear

bipolarbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

Seems to be working. I am googling and trying to cobble together suggestions and steps every couple of minutes. I can't really overstate the fact that I've never done anything with 2 hard drives with a loaded OS in one machine, or used an M.2 drive, or installed Windows 10 in anything, ever. Disconnected the hdd and started the laptop with the thumb drive plugged in. When it asked me where to install windows, drive 0 could not be used because it said it couldn't find a partition. After some searching, I tried some instructions on using diskpart. After 3 tries and other instructions on something called bootrec, I got through the active, format, assign, exit instructions and restarted again. Then it said that windows cannot be installed because the disk has an mbr partition table. I don't know what MBR is, but I searched again. Went into UEFI settings (don't know what that acronym is either) and switched back to legacy again (not sure what legacy means in this context). Installation began, and I walked off thinking it would take a few minutes as "getting files ready was progressing at a less than alarming pace. When I sat back down, it popped up saying it needed to restart, and then it took me through the same steps again, just that the drive seemed to have about 7GB less space and it told me that a previous version would be moved to windows.old. I waited in front of the laptop this time, and when it restarted I unplugged the thumb drive. Now it is going through setup.

Once it is done, I suppose I will shut it off again and plug the hdd back in. I think I will try to move the ssd up in the boot order, though I don't know if that is necessary. I also don't know when I will be able to delete the OS on the hdd, or if I should leave it alone.

Thanks for the tips, it pointed me in a general direction, and I should be done with this in a day or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users