Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"searching for updates on this computer" Infinite loop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

I am trying to manually install a few updates that are required for the Windows 7 Convenience Rollup on a Shuttle PC that originally had Vista on it but the Windows Update Standalone Installer has been stuck on "searching for updates on this computer" for more than 24 hours now, it does not progress from there at all.

The "normal" Windows Update in the Control Panel already took two days so I gave up, and now I am trying this.

I Googled the problem with "searching for updates on this computer" but ONLY spammy results showed up on Google. There are NO legitimate results on this problem!!

Any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:47 PM

There is

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

note i haven't tried it yet and it looks messy, but i find the same issue regularly on new machines . . .

Regards,
Phil
Linux user     |     #564977

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:40 PM

- Yep, it sounds like the "good old" Windows Update problem that's plagueing Windows users since the 2nd quarter of this year. Try this guide:

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4799.0.html

- Since you have upgraded from Vista to Win 7 I don't know whether that should be regarded as a "re-install of Win 7" or not. Tell us: Did you install the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 on your Vista system or did you do a fresh clean install of Windows 7 ? The answer to that question is important to what procedure one needs to follow.

- Keep us posted.

#4 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:28 AM

Yeah cheers Willy22, that worked fine on my fresh install of windows 7 64bit, it found updates in minutes and is now downloading them . . .  :)

Regards,
Phil

#5 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:31 AM

Installing . . . .

Regards,
Phil

#6 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:26 AM

250 updates and a reboot later everything progressing well, this issue has plagued me on and off for a while now, i'm glad to finally nail it :)

Regards,
Phil

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:20 AM

There is

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

note i haven't tried it yet and it looks messy, but i find the same issue regularly on new machines . . .

It is messy if you follow their instructions.  But if you use the instructions below using the batch script it is very easy.

Open Notebook and copy and paste the batch script below in it.  Save this to the Desktop and name it UCReset.bat.

@ECHO OFF
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
echo.
PAUSE
echo.
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo.
echo Task completed successfully...
echo.
PAUSE

To run the batch script right click on the UCReset.bat file on the desktop and select Run as administrator.

Restart your computer and try updating again.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

Thanks Arachibutyrophobia, that looks neat too, next time it rears its ugly head ill give the script a go. Willy22s answer works as well. I wonder if we could hear from the OP ans see how he/she went with it . . . .

Regards,
Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users