Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgraded to Windows 10, now PC won't boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cherold

cherold

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:28 PM

I upgraded to 10 from 8. When it said let it start and it will take 90 minutes, I said okay. Then for a while it was installing. The next time I checked, the boot screen was there. But it won't boot. I just get that first screen that says ASUS. I've tried hard powering off and turning back on and it won't do anything. What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:34 PM

You should never have seen a screen that said "it will take 90 minutes." A screen like that does not exist in the official Microsoft update process, so something is wrong.

Are you sure that is exactly what the screen said? The whole upgrade process normally just takes about 15 minutes.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 cherold

cherold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:59 PM

I think that's what it said, but I can't swear to it. I downloaded the upgrade here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

Do you legitimately qualify to use that site? If you don't, then you may have ran into hardware issues.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 cherold

cherold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:07 PM

What hardware issues could there be?

#6 tzoromski135

tzoromski135

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

Do you legitimately qualify to use that site? If you don't, then you may have ran into hardware issues.

I'm assuming username cherold doesn't use assistive technologies with Windows.

What hardware issues could there be?

Cherold, Assistive technologies for Windows use special speech recognition, screen readers, etc for individuals who cannot use windows without them.  I'm assuming you thought that since you missed the "free upgrade" offer, this would do no harm as it has to be the same upgrade - no, it's a totally different upgrade that is specifically made for the assistive technologies out there for people who have a major disability.  Here are examples of the "assistive technologies": https://www.microsoft.com/enable/at/

I'm surprised that if your PC did not have assistive technologies installed that the upgrade actually happened - it should've scanned your PC for compatibility with the assistive technologies on your PC and found none then kicked you off the site telling you that your system does not qualify for the free upgade - or "Windows did not detect any assistive technologies on your system, your PC does not qualify for this upgrade"

I'm not a computer expert, but I'm assuming that the upgrade is trying to install drivers for software that doesn't exist on your system, therefore it's "hung up" searching for the software.  I do not believe there is a "roll back" feature to undo an upgrade during the upgrade process itself. 

#7 cherold

cherold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:02 AM

Actually, after sitting at the boot screen for another two or three hours, Windows 10 finally came up, and now it's absolutely fine! I'm so relieved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users