Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duel Boot Win 7/Ubuntu Random Shutdown Without Re-Boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 andrew124c41

andrew124c41

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:13 PM

M5A97 LE R.20 MB

AMD FX 4350

2 Sandisk SSDs one with Win7 other with Ubuntu/Kodi

1 Seagate 1 TB HD

8 gig RAM

Thermaltake 500 PSU

7 130 fans

Win 7 Professional 64

Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

When PC running Ubuntu, this does not happen

When PC running Windows and applications run, does not happen

Only occurs when PC idle in Windows 7

Have stopped boot after post pending hitting escape...no shutdown

Monitored temps and voltages....all within spec

Windows logs:

0x0

0x500ff

0x81000000

I found this "workaround" but it does not help:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2001061

At this point, my thought is to simply use Acronis to restore the system to an earlier time.

Any other thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:09 AM

It depends on what you want.

Some people want the problem fixed quickly - and the Acronis restore should do that.
Others want to troubleshoot - and we'll need these reports to start.

Please generate the reports immediately after recovering from a random shutdown:

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 andrew124c41

andrew124c41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:32 AM

I will run these logs as soon as I get back to where the PC is located.

A couple of things.  The codes were from event viewer : 0x0     0x500ff     0x81000000

I ran a program which looks at all hardware parameters like speed fan while using several different burn in programs to stress the PC.  The PC did not shutdown during the hour or so I ran the program.  All voltages and temps were normal.  The total power was never more than  220 W measured at the plug to the PC.  The PSU is a thermaltake 450.  I have done this test with different burn/stress programs and the PC never shuts down.

When I am using the second SSD running Ubuntu, never shuts down.

It is only when PC is in windows and is idle, that is no programs running that this happens.  So, I do not think it is a hardware problem.

0x81000000 does not have any description.  I did find this.  Should I do it as well:  https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/nexthop/2010/12/17/microsoft-lync-server-2010-resource-kit-tool-error-string-display/

Will speedfan generate a log if the PC has an uncommented shutdown while it is running?

Thanks

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:55 AM

I need more specific info other than just the error numbers.

The reports that I asked for will provide this.

Error numbers can have many different causes - so randomly throwing fixes at them isn't an efficient way of repairing things.
You may get lucky and hit the fix - or you may not.

Hopefully the fixes won't delete/damage the other reports needed to help identify the problem.

Speedfan's log is updated constantly - so it'll save it's file nearly to the shutdown - that's why I suggest using it.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 andrew124c41

andrew124c41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:32 AM

I have attached all the logs requested including some metadata that was part of the performace log.

Speed fan did not for some reason demonstrate voltages.

I ran the Asus sensor for voltages, fans, and temps and at shutdown, all were normal.

I also ran open sourece monitor but it does not generate logs at shutdown and included it as well as CPUID monitor, and a benchmark log.  I ran one of the open source monitor logs after overclocking just to see what if anything might happen.  I have also used stress programs but did not keep the logs so I did not upload them.

I forgot to mention three things:

1. When the shutdown occurs, when I reboot the PC, it goes straight to windows.  There is no message...windows was shut down improperly...etc.

2. Every time this happens, the time goes off...ahead by several hours....never the same amount.  I have to reset.

3. I have a total of seven chasis fans and one CPU fan.  Because there are only three MB power/monitoring sockets and because they are not PWM fans and cannot be controlled by the MB, I built my own speed control device and put it in an old DVD drive case.  It has three channels controlled by Pots.  The first has two one twnety fans which are intake in the front.  The second are two one twenties on the side, and the third are the two one twenties  top fans and the rear fan.  They do not get their power from the MB.  They get them directly from the twelve vold rail trough my control system which uses switching power transisters for each chanel and Pots to control the speed. The monitoring line of each of the respective chanels goes to the proper pin recepticle of for chasis fan on the MB.  The setup is such that no matter how you increase the speeds of the three sets of fans, the system is always running under positive pressure.  This was a choice to choose to fight one evel entity over another, to wit dust vs heat.  I hate dust more than heat! Besides, the temps are reasonable.  As a consequence of how I set this up, I suppose the speeds are averaged which is why at times the numbers are off.  Unfortuantely, I cannot monitor for an individual fan loss.  However, all the fans are LED fans so I can see them. I used my own custom filters alsong with a program called dust end which is supposed to tell me when to clean them.  When I can no longer see the LEDs seems to be more accurate.  

lt the PC I built for my wife, so in practice, the speed control Pots on the front of the PC case are never used.  I do not overclock it although I have used the Asus auto tune just to see what I could get but saw no reason to leave it that way since she is not a gamer.

Again, thanks for your help

Attached Files

Edited by andrew124c41, 31 August 2016 - 09:01 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:22 PM

From the Admin log file - the system is crashing (a BSOD) - yet the crash dump isn't being initialized.

I would first suggest running these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please start with the hard drive diagnostics.

Temporarily uninstall Roxio and Acronis - as they are having errors just prior to the shutdowns (seen in both the Admin logfile and the perfmon report).

Feel free to reinstall them after we're done testing.

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

You have 4 hard drives.  What is the age of your Power Supply?
PSU's lose efficiency as they age.  Are you certain that this PSU is still able to support ALL of the power drawing devices - no matter how they are connected to the PSU?

Asus Fan Control Service is hanging - a lot.
Please uninstall it.  If needed, download and install a fresh copy.

Then lets see what happens.

Please let us know if the problems continue.

Also, check to see if the crash dumps are being initialized (there will be a MEMORY.dmp file in C:\Windows, and there will be .dmp files in C:\Windows\Minidump).

#7 andrew124c41

andrew124c41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:54 PM

I have some questions and comments.

I have four drives in the PC which consist of the following:  Two Sandisk SSDs for each OS, One Seagate HD for data, and one seagate HD which has an image of the windows OS but is not connected...it just sits in case of a problem, I taught my wife how to connect it.

The PC is less than a year old.  I have a power device that measures the wattage by plugging the PSU plug into it....then into the AC UPS.  Even under stress running prime95 it does not go above 230 W.  It is a new 450 or 500 W PSU (I foreget)

What is strange is that the PC never shuts down while I am using it.  Never while idle in Ubuntu.  Only when idle in Windows.

I have Sandisk dashboard and have run all tests on both SSDs without error.

I ran Seagate diagnostics on that drive without any errors.

I have run Prime96 and other stress testing which were all negative.  I had already attached one benchmark log.

What ASUS fan software are you talking about?  Do you mean Fan Expert.  That I do have.  I cant stop it or unload it.

I do not have any minidump folder or logs.

What should I do next.

I have not yet gotten rid of Acronis and Roxio.  I suppose the thing to do is remove them one at a time.

Again, it is really strange that the PC shuts down only when idling.

I should note that there are a lot of tweaks on this PC and I have forgotten many of them....disabled services, disabled logging to cut down on SSD writes, there is no sleep/suspend...only logoff and shutdown are available to cut down on sleep and hibernation SSD writes.

I removed Roxio...let's see what happens

Any other advice?

#8 andrew124c41

andrew124c41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:55 AM

Post removing Roxio, I turned on the PC this morning and while I was sitting there not using it, I watched it suddenly undergo what looked like a normal shutdown...except I did not push the power button or command it in windows.  Again, this does not happen if I am simply writing as I am at this moment.  However, if I stop and leave the browser up...it will shut down!

I will uninstall Acronis.  However, I have a feeling that is not the issue.  The only thing I have no yet done is to remove or update fan expert which is what I think you are referring to.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:11 AM

This is a process - not a one shot fix.

We try some things, then we wait and see if they have fixed it.

If it hasn't, then we try some more stuff.

etc, etc, etc.

While it is unusual to find problems like this (that show in Windows, but not in Ubuntu), there's several things to consider.

1)  The driver developers wrote different drivers in Unbuntu than in Windows - so different components are used in different ways.  In short, it's a suspicion of mine that newer hardware can have problems with a driver in one OS and not in another (because the problem OS stresses a part of the driver that the non-problem OS doesn't)

2)  Different hardware stressors act in different ways - and hardware has become increasingly complicated (so the line between hardware and software has become blurred)

Once you finish my suggestions, then we wait to see what happens.
If the shutdowns continue, we'll get some more reports and then we'll try some more stuff.

If we don't fix it, then we'll have to resort to trying the basic test (wiping the hard drive and "clean" installing Windows).

As you have a spare hard drive, this may be the place to do it.

#10 andrew124c41

andrew124c41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:22 PM

Final report for now.

Removed Acronis.

No change.

Same problem.

Also uploaded new reports but do not think they differ

Attached Files

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:06 AM

I'm fairly sure that this is a hardware issue.

Ensure that you complete all of these diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

If that doesn't identify the problem, then try this process:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users