Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Stop McAfee's Random Vulerability Scanner?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:08 AM

I have turned off the McAfee Vulnerability Scanner's scheduled scans but I'd like to know how to turn off the random vulnerability scan. It keeps downloading the latest version of Firefox when, for customizing reasons, I want to stick with Firefox 46.0 for now. I have to uninstall the latest and reinstall version 46 every week or so. How can I put a stop to it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:29 AM

Hi:

I have not used McAfee for a long time and I don't know exactly which product or version  of McAfee you have, but I suspect it may have to do with the "wait until my PC is idle" setting somewhere in McAfee?

Having said that, running an old, outdated release version of Firefox creates significant security vulnerability.

I presume you are doing this because you want to use an unsigned extension that is being blocked by current Fx versions (48.0.2).

There's no love lost between Mozilla and me. And the extension signing situation has been problematic even for some legitimate extensions.

But continuing to run outdated versions of Firefox with outdated, unsigned extensions is not a safe long-term strategy.

A safer solution to your problem might be to run Firefox ESR:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

I think the current ESR version is 45.0.2:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/45.2.0/releasenotes/

ESR gets security patches.

Just a thought,

MM

#3 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:34 AM

Thanks.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:06 AM

McAfee has a dedicated community Vulnerability Scanner forum where folks can get assistance.

However, it appears others have similar complaints....No option to turn-off vulnerability scanner
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

Thanks. I checked out the links. Looks daunting.

Do you know of an Antivirus program to replace McAfee that will coexist with Malwarebytes Premium?

I've got Malwarebytes Premium on both laptops. The one I'm on now has Windows 7 with Microsoft Essentials and they work perfectly together. The other, the one in question, has Windows 8.1 with Malwarebytes Premium and McAfee AntiVirus Plus. I want to replace McAfee. The problem is that Windows Defender, Microsoft Essential's replacement for Windows 8.1, won't turn on when either McAfee or Malwarebytes Premium is detected. I'm sure about McAfee because I tried to activate it prior to installing Malwarebytes and it refused. I don't know if I would get the same results in the presence of Malwarebytes Premium alone.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:15 PM

IMO Windows 8/10 Defender is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups...read Is Windows Defender Good Enough. Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it typically is disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. If a trial anti-virus (i.e. McAfee, Norton, Webroot, etc) came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, Windows Defender will be turned off (disabled). Windows Defender recognizes the install and automatically disables itself when other anti-virus products are used to avoid conflicts. Windows 8/10 Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled. In some cases, you may need to download and run the anti-virus vendor's clean up tool to remove any remaining remnants In your case, that means removing McAfee, rebooting and allowing Windows Defender to start it's protection.

Although Windows 8/10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats which is why I also recommend Malwarebytes Premium.

Some anti-virus vendors will ask you to remove Malwarebytes and other security software to avoid conflicts when the reality is they only want you to use and rely on their software. BitDefender, Windows Defender on Windows 8/10 and AVG are some examples. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside anti-virus software without conflicts. Although there have been reports from Windows Defender users that it will not work when Malwarebytes Premium is installed, others have indicated they work fine together.

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware if choosing a paid for program as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

#7 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:28 PM

Thanks. The Emsisoft program looks good. In the case of my laptop which currently has McAfee, do I download the Emsisoft program first and then uninstall McAfee with the cleaning tool, and then install Emsisoft? Is that the correct sequence?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:31 PM

Instructions are provided in this topic...Steps for Replacing your Anti-virus

#9 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:40 PM

Thanks. I bookmarked the link concerning the uninstall instructions and removal tools. I'll get back to the forum if I run into trouble. Thanks again. Great forum! I think the key is not only how much you guys know, but you also know how to dumb it down for us I really appreciate that.

#10 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:08 PM

McAfee has a dedicated community Vulnerability Scanner forum where folks can get assistance.

However, it appears others have similar complaints....No option to turn-off vulnerability scanner

Well, DARN, that stinks. <rolls eyes>

@wdrbbq: yes, @quietman7 is *THE* man when it comes to all of this security stuff.

A couple of minor items:

• At some point, if you are not going to stay on the current Firefox release version, I do recommend moving to ESR, for security reasons.
  • The details of AV replacement are in the excellent, pinned topics for which @quietman7 provided the links.
  • This detailed tutorial explains how to use the McAfee removal tool properly
    • Be sure to reboot when prompted
    • Occasionally, one must run it more than once
    • Rarely, one must run it from Windows Safe Mode
  • As a general approach, yes, you would want to download and save (but do not run yet) the "new" AV's installer before you start the McAfee removal
    • That way, you will minimize your "exposed" time without an AV and you won't have to surf the internet without AV protection

Good luck!

MM

#11 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:28 PM

I was kind of sure of the sequence through my experience with this laptop, which also came with McAfee AntiVirus Plus. I was familiar with Win 7 with Micro Essentials, so I wanted that. I dumped McAfee and then went looking for Micro Essentials. Long story short: It cost $85 for the guys at PCW to exorcise it. Just that short search was all it took. So, when they got the demons out I had them install Micro Essentials. No issues since.

Thanks again for your input and I will take your advice about ESR. I like Firefox because of the ability to customize, but it seems that every week they come up with a new version that doesn't accept a lot of the add ons that made it attractive in the previous version in the first place. 

#12 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

+1 for ditching McAfee. IMO the only reason Mcafee is still around is because they pay companies to include their product with computers and services(ISP). Think of this as a blessing in disguise.  :cherry:

#13 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:47 PM

I'm with you. As I said, I've got one laptop with Win 7 and Micro Essentials and one with Win 8.1 (which I can't stand) and McAfee. I don't think there's any comparison with speed. The Win 7 machine is quicker and is far less intrusive. Also, although I have programmed McAfee to scan at a certain time each night, it scans whenever it wants to do so. Any time it's running slowly, I look down at the taskbar and see that a scan is running. No such problems with Micro Essentials, even when a scan is running.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:20 PM

Although McAfee (now owned by Intel Security is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative. IMO, McAfee is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers.

#15 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:26 PM

Yes, that's where I first ran into it, when I worked in an environment where every computer was networked. I seem to recall updates prior to scans taking forever also. We had folks all the way from novice to actual techs, who did that professionally on the side. No one liked McAfee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users