Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post-Attack Win 10 Hardening Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HockingBob

HockingBob

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:53 AM

I've recently experienced a nasty hack attack that was time consuming, costly and might just throw me into bankruptcy.  Trying to claw my way back with my mostly understanding clients, but am now totally serous about reducing attack surfaces.  My computer programming skills suck - think the term "hackabilly" might be the most appropriate to describe them.  If you've ever seen the Red Green show, that'd be a good representation of those skills.  Anyway, I ran into an article that strongly recommended that you should never surf and run programs while online in an administrator account.  They instead advised to set up a standard user account for those purposes.  Of course my system's already set up under the admin account.  I've probably got over a hundred programs installed.  Is there a way to mirror and sync them to the user account?  Comments / recommendations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:23 AM

Creating a User Account will automatically sync all your programs from the Admin account. It will not sync your data such as pictures and documents. You would need to copy or move those manually. I have not seen this is in awhile but some programs require an admin account to run. I doubt you have one of these.

I would suggest you also make sure you are not using the default user name and password of a router if you have one. If you have a separate router make sure you disable remote access. This will be in the router settings you access through your browser. Also if using wifi make sure you have a strong password.

Have a good antivirus and also add software that can detect zero day malware such as hitman pro alert. Don't open email attachments from people you do not know or were not expecting. If an email from somebody you do know does not look legitimate then email ot call the person back to confirm they sent it before opening it. When browsing the internet you can use a program like Sandboxie that sandboxes your browsing. It can also be used when running an email client.

There are ways to harden a Windows 10 system beyond what I just said but it can affect how programs run. 

Even on a User Account you can get infected. It's just a little harder. This may be hard to take in for a computer novice so I would advise you either get somebody you know who is computer literate to help or hire somebody to do it for you. Good Luck.

#3 HockingBob

HockingBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:42 PM

Hi JonC, hey, thanks so much!  I kinda ignored the tip about Hitman Pro.  I've jumped through all kinds of hoops and utilized all kinds of programs (many favorites from here) and this bugger keeps coming back no matter what I do.  Anyway I came back today and revisited your comment, downloaded Hitman and voila', I'm back in business.  Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you and if you have any doubts, let me just say THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!  -Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users